Anyone applying to Holmes and Hinds for August 09?Register Today!
- by FA2NS Feb 26, '09Hey guys. I was a little devastated when I was placed on the alternate list for UMC's accelerated BSN program. I thought being an alternate was ok until I was told all of the remaining 69 people who did not get accepted are on the list. So...I am on to plan B. I am going to work towards my ADN and then do a bridge to BSN. I already have a BA and was working towards the BSN so I have extra pre reqs already. Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone else is applying to Holmes Ridgeland campus for August or Hinds? If so...HELLO!!!!
- Hello..I applied to both hinds and holmes for fall 09...I also have a 4 year degree in business..I did a lot of research before choosing the ASN route over the BSN...mainly it came down to hinds and holmes are about 6000 for the whole program! I also want to be a hands on nurse...not in admin...from what i hear some hospitals don't even pay for a BSN..others pay about .50 cents more! Read the blogs! Do not be sad about not getting into UMC...You might love hinds or holmes!! Besides the application process is so easy..it took me 20 mintues to fill out the apps and get my transcripts sent:typing..NO app fees!! no recomendations! no essays! it is probably a blessing in disguise...apply to both and see what happens..best of luck..keep us posted!!
- Thanks!!! You just made me feel a whole lot better. I agree with you. I applied to both Holmes and Hinds and the application process was so easy!!! Did you happen to look at the cirriculum at Holmes? There are some classes I have already taken. I am sure you have as well as they were core classes you need for a BS or BA like Comp. 101 etc. What do you think this means for us? There are 4 classes listed for the first year first semester and I have had 3 of the 4 already. Then the second semester first year is the exact same case. Hmmm. Since I want to do a bridge program I was wondering if I could take other stuff these semesters that would stiasfy my pre reqs for that program. Can you tell I have a lot of time on my hands??? Ugh! I just really want to get in and do this...I guess all we can do is wait. Good luck to you too!!!! I hope to see you there!
- I have looked at the classes for both programs as well..my understanding is if you already took the class they will give u credit for it...most of the nursing courses are 9 to 10 credits each semester...so they only way this might effect you is with financial aid and the cost of tution...since u already have a degree you won't be eligible for grants...but you would be considered part time for taking under 12 hours as far as loans...if u are set on getting a bsn check out delta state. they have a rn to bsn program online once u finish at hinds or holmes..just make sure you have fufilled all the preqs..you have 4 semester to complete then while at hinds!! so once u finish all u have to do is apply!! i really believe u r going to be so happy with this route...everything happens for a reasonjust think since u have most of the general reqs met all u have to do is focus on nursing courses...can't beat that!
- SO TRUE!!! What I was thinking is this...there is an ACT scholarship at Holmes. They will pay $650 per semester if you have a 21 and over and a 3.0. I have above that. Tuition is $712 a semester. You must be full time. So...I was thinking I may be able to fill in the spots with Pre reqs for the BSN at UMC. Their program would cost me $6,000. You can work full time as a nurse while doing it and it is online also. The accelerated BSN woud have been $10,000!!! So, yes I am very happy with this option. I just hope I get accepted. I am also looking at Hinds but I would have to pay more and will not get grants like you said due to heving a bachelor's, but I can get loans and stuff for the bachelor's. So, you are right. This is the best option for me!! I feel good about it. I just hope I get in. Everything does happen for a reason.
- ok sorry to keep botherin u!! i didn't know u could get the holmes act scholarship if u already had a bachelors...did you have to fill out a form...or do they automatically consider u for it? i want to apply for that!
- First off...You are certainly NOT bothering me. You are very sweet and very helpful!!!!! No worries. I hope this helps you too! That is what we are here for right?!
Well, I told the lady in financial aid office my story. We were chatting back and forth about me not being elligible for loans/grants b/c of my previous bachelor's. She said, ........"Your financial aid is suspended on a community college level. That means from here on out if you are attending a community college you will more than likely have to pay out of pocket if you are considering pell grants and loans. You could go to a university and if you qualify for funds there then that particular school will award you accordingly. With regards to the ACT Scholarship, you do not have to fill out an application. If you meet the qualifications and you are a full time student it will be processed on your account. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me."
That is a copied and pasted email. SO...also she said..." If you have a 20 or higher on your ACTs and your g.p.a.is a 3.0 or higher you may qualify for the ACT Scholarship which would pay 650.00 per semester as long as you are enrolled in full time hours. If you have any other questions please feel free to contact me."
So there you have it!!!!! This sounds EXTREMELY promising.
- My only question is what does she mean by MIGHT QUALIFY????? She knows I have a bachelor's so...Hmmm....
- I emailed her and asked if everyone with a 20 or higher and a 3.0 automatically get the scholarship. I will let you know what her response is. I know at Hinds their ACT scholarship is for "first time entering freshmen." I applied for it anyway... I am first time at Hinds and entering as a freshman sort of...
- hmmm to be honest something about that just dosent sound right...that might qualify statement kinda makes me think she is not sure herself...but who knows maybe we are getting ahead of ourselves!! lets get in first..lol...