Nurse Internship at Washington Adventist Hospital
- 0Nov 18, '11 by Susu08rnI did not have an opportunity to do any clinical rotations at WAH, but I went ahead and applied to their Feb 2012 internship for the med-surg unit (just to get my feet wet before specializing). I'm scheduled to do their pre-hire exam and interview in the next few weeks, but I'm really just trying to gather information about others' experience with the internship program (on the med-surg unit would be preferred). Even if you did not participate in their intership program, if you work or worked there (again on the med-surg unit), I'd like to hear your thoughts. Thanks.
- 0Nov 18, '11 by RNchemoHi Susu08rn, I haven't worked at WAH, but was a patient on one of their med-surg units. From the perspective of an RN who was a patient (it is the closest ER to my house) I have to say that there were many areas that could stand to be improved. However, they will be moving to a new facility (White Oak?)in the near future, and that will likely change things.
The nurses who cared for me ranged from having terrible practices to being quite good. There were 2 RN's during my 3 day stay that I felt "safe" with and could relax and not have to watch them like a hawk. I had to ask several to wash their hands and watched one loop my IV tubing into and unclean port and then try to re-hook it without cleaning my hub. Not cleaning IV hubs before attempting to attach IVPB tubing or flush was observed as well. Yikes! I would advise you to look before you leap. If it works out at WAH then be selective in your preceptor. Good Luck!
- 0Nov 30, '11 by Susu08rnHi NurseLoyJoy88,
My exam is actually scheduled for 12/5...how did yours go? Do you get results right away? I hope you did well! I was told to study all aspects of nursing including dose calculations and to use my NCLEX study guide...is that an accurate description of the test you took. Were there many pharmocology questions?
Which unit are you hoping to intern on? Perhaps I'll see you around, InshAllah. I'm so nervous about the test and interview...believe it or not, I've never had to interview for a job in my 27 years of life....guess I've just always been fortunate enough to know someone who could get me in. Not this time though so I'm definitely worried, but I'll definitely be doing some mock interviews to help myself feel more at ease...best of luck to you!!
- 0Nov 30, '11 by NurseLoveJoy88IMO the exam did have some challenging questions. They are pretty accurate on what to study. Glory be to God I scored an 86 percent. I prepared by doing some practice nclex questions, that really helped. You will find out your score right away.
I told the nurse recruiter three specialties: L and D, CCU, and Med surg.
I have been contacted for an interview. I hope and pray I get one. Good luck and keep me posted. Hopefully I will see you there.
- 0Nov 30, '11 by ChineseLanternHey, I was just wondering when you guys applied to this? I would like to apply but I'm not sure if the application period is still open. Did you guys just email your documents in or was there a specific posting for it on the website? Thanks so much for your help and best of luck!
- 0Nov 30, '11 by NurseLoveJoy88Quote from ChineseLanternI meant I have NOT been contacted for an interview, but I pray I get that one special call to come in and interview.Hey, I was just wondering when you guys applied to this? I would like to apply but I'm not sure if the application period is still open. Did you guys just email your documents in or was there a specific posting for it on the website? Thanks so much for your help and best of luck!
Anyway, the deadline to apply was Nov. 4th.... for the new grad internship...
- 0Dec 2, '11 by Susu08rnQuote from chineselanternhi chinese latern,hey, i was just wondering when you guys applied to this? i would like to apply but i'm not sure if the application period is still open. did you guys just email your documents in or was there a specific posting for it on the website? thanks so much for your help and best of luck!
as nurselovejoy88 mentioned, the deadline for the feb 2012 internship was nov. 4. here is the nure recruiter's info though. perhaps you can contact her for the next session (i believe fall 2012 although i'm not sure). i suggest you try contacting her now because she never responded to my phone call and took months to respond to my email inquiry about their intership program. here is her info. best of luck!
renee dupree-jones, rn, ms, chcr
washington adventist hospital
e-mail: [email protected]