CNA licensing in Maine

  1. Hello everyone! I am researching getting my CNA and I am looking for some advice. I live in Maine but live very close to New Hampshire. I found a course in NH that works with my schedule and starts soon. I have tried finding CNA courses in ME and the only one I can find is the one through MMC which is about an hours drive for me. Does anyone know what I would have to do to get licensed in ME if I took my course in NH? Is there some kind of reciprocal license? Also, does anyone know of any CNA courses in southern ME? I would take it here if I could find one closer then MMC. Thanks for all the advice in advance!
  2. Visit azurebutterfly profile page

    About azurebutterfly

    Joined: Oct '08; Posts: 1


  3. by   MaineEMT2RN
    Most of the Adult Ed Programs in York County have a CNA program or are affiliated with another nearby school district that does. I know that Sanford offers their program at least twice a year. They have a new website and the medical courses aren't listed on it yet, but the site has all the contact info you'll need to reach them:

    If there's a program nearer to you, I'm sure they'd know about it and would be able to direct you to the right place. They do good work.

    I can't say enough good things about MMC's program, but it is designed for people who want to work at the hospital as CNA's, and if that's not realistic for you, something closer to home would certainly be your best bet.

    Good luck~
  4. by   GreenvilleRN

    I am a C.N.A. instructor in Northern Maine, before spending money on the New Hampshire course call the Maine C.N.A. registry to check if they will accept certification from NH. I say this because Maine has significantly requirements to be on the registry than do other states (not sure about NH). I have a number of students in my classes who have been working as a C.N.A. in other states but Maine will not recognize their classes due to the limited number of hours. Other places to look for C.N.A. classes in Southern Maine would be to call area High School Adult Education programs as well as the community colleges.

    Good Luck!