Moving to Barksdale AFB
- 0Apr 16, '13 by Kaligirl02Hello all. I might be moving to Barksdale AFB this coming Fall. I was wondering if there are any places in particular, as an LPN, I should look into and avoid while on the job hunt? Any information would be greatly appreciated!
- 0Apr 16, '13 by AFMedic112I used to be stationed at Barksdale! They have a clinic there that hires civilian LPN's which is where I would try for first. Working as a civilian for the government has a lot of benefits plus the hours are so much better. There are also several hospitals in the vicinity. The Willis Knighton hospital system has a very good reputation, as does Christus Schumpert. Good luck!
- 0Apr 16, '13 by Kaligirl02Thanks a bunch for the speedy response! So, I take it that LA hospitals hire LPN's? We are leaving Elmendorf AFB here in Alaska this fall, and LPN's aren't anywhere near the hospital!! That would be awesome if I could work in one. Did you like Barksdale? I am originally from California but my mom was born in thibdeoux (?). She doesn't think I am going to like it much.
- 0Apr 17, '13 by mwc1230I live an hour south but went to school in Shreveport. As far as I know, all hospitals will hire LPNs.
I know for certain that Schumpert had LPNs while I was in clinicals.
You will have lots of options in hospitals! Willis Knighton has 4 campuses (if not more), Christus Schumpert has 2, LSU is a teaching hospital, the VA, and I'm sure a few more that I'm not familiar with. Good luck!
- 0Aug 8, '13 by ashbeth78Hi I'm a LPN here in Shreveport all of the hospitals hire LPN's as well as the nursing home agencies and home health care agencies as long as you have the experience, most it's one year. Willis Khighton doesn't have a good reputation as a employer it's a good hospital but they don't treat their nurses well. The pay isn't that good for LPN's either. There are a lot of jobs in Shreveport and Bossier City you just have to go out and really look for them. Coming to Louisiana from another state probably will be culture shock but the people here are nice and good people. Best of luck.