the philippine overseas employment administration (poea) is a government agency that registers and regulates recruitment agencies for overseas filipino workers. they have much experience dealing with the various problems that arise with the recruitment process and the following are some suggestions they have issued to help avoid problems:
- work with only those recruitment agencies who are licensed by the poea.
- make sure that the person you are dealing with is an authorized representative of an agency.
- use only the official, registered address for the agency to conduct business.
- do not pay more than the allowed placement fee, which can not exceed one month salary (additional processing and documentation fees are allowed beyond this).
- do not pay any placement fee until you have a valid contract and make sure you receive an official receipt.
- avoid ads or brochures asking you to send a processing payment to a post office box.
- do not attempt to get a job through a training center fixer, or travel agent.
- do not accept a tourist visa.
of course the poea has a financial incentive to keep workers in their system since they collect fees from the registered recruiters, but their advice is still sound and should be considered before you begin your job search.