how is UK nursing programs different from the US?

  1. hello everyone and thanks for reading in advance!

    I am from the US and living in Europe with my Spanish husband. I am going to school this next year in the states for nursing and it is very likely that my husband will stay here. Therefore I am trying to find some information about UK nursing programs.

    Things I would like to know:

    a) In UK schools is it the same process of getting in than US? such as in the US you have to do a year (or 2) of prerequisite such as Biology, Anatomy and physiology, math, psychology, ect. or are these included in the nursing program?

    b) Are there wait lists or a point system?

    c) if I take classes like Biology, Anatomy and physiology, math, psychology, ect. will those classes likely transfer if I decide to go to a UK school? I know this depends but is it likely?

    d) I would like to be a trauma nurse one day and I see there are very specific programs:
    Adult Nursing Advanced Diploma
    Adult Nursing BSc (Hons)
    Child Health Nursing BSc (Hons)
    Child Health Nursing Advanced Diploma
    Learning Disabilities Nursing Advanced Diploma
    Learning Disabilities Nursing BSc (Hons)
    Mental Health Nursing BSc (Hons)
    Mental Health Nursing Advanced Diploma

    Which of these would be the best for someone that wants to work in a trauma field?

    Thanks so much for reading this and any replies. If there is something I might be missing please let me know!
  2. Visit theniknik profile page

    About theniknik

    Joined: Feb '10; Posts: 14; Likes: 1


  3. by   Silverdragon102
    UK training is different to the US as it is more specialised and not generalised. In the UK you select which branch you want to work in so if you plan on working in the US at a later date you may find that the UK training means you are short in hours both clinical and theory in some areas. Main areas required are Obstetrics, Paeds, Mental Health and General Adult. If you did Adult nursing then you may find you are short in Paeds, mental Health and Obstetrics and so on depending on the speciality you choose

    Very hard if not a resident of the UK to get into nursing as the Government pays for it and if not a resident or meet resident requirements you may find you have to pay International fees if lucky to get in and they can be expensive
  4. by   theniknik
    thanks for the reply! I would like to be in trauma. what would that fall under? and I have read that the goverment pays for it if you have been there for 5 years, but I have not, but can you just pay for it your self? or does the goverment HAVE to do it?I do have a EU resident card, but I am not sure that would fall under that.
  5. by   Silverdragon102
    All depends on the university, not all will accept International nursing students because how nurse training is funded. Will also be very expensive and you will need to approach the university where you hope to do your training and talk to them about it. Most require a residency of 3 years (haven't heard of 5) Generally you are looking at the adult section however you will be short of other hours for the US if your training doesn't include it in the training and you will not be able to meet US state requirements