IV Lasix, Phenergan, SolumedrolRegister Today!
- by free50 Feb 11, '06Hi, I am new to this website and am a first year nursing student in my second semester of school. Our instuctor has told us to learn about the following IV therapies: Lasix, Phenergan and Solumedrol. Any help that anyone can give to me would be greatly appreciated.
- 17,421 Views
- Feb 12, '06 by JentheRN05Well I have ONE suggestion. ALWAYS dilute phenergan. It kills the veins and hurts like heck!! I dilute it nearly 50/50 because it is so incredibly bad, actually more than that (dilution wise). Phenergan (if I remember correctly) also potentiates major pain killers so it must be given with caution. But not many know this secret.
Lasix, ALWAY watch potassium - with lasix as fluid as removed from the body the potassium is also removed and potassium levels almost always drop, it should almost always be given with a potassium supplement such as Kdur.
Solumedrol - if I remember correctly ALWAY be careful administering this with diabetics because I believe it raises blood sugar.
Okay so maybe I had more in this tired mind than I thought Hope it helps
- Feb 12, '06 by EricTAMUCC-BSNNot a whole lot to add to what Jen said, but i'll add anyways
Promethazine is a Phenyl D. It was first used as a pesticide, it contains Hg. It is often used for nausea. It can be used for anxiety, inflammation, and psychosis.
- Feb 12, '06 by GooeyRNI agree on diluting the phengergan. It can make lol confused. I learned this through experience. They can also hallucinate. IV lasix works pretty quick. Push it slow and be expecting to take them to the BR very frequently for the next 2 hours or so. If giving Solumedrol IV push watch for an increase in heart rate. Its not as common if given slowly through IVPB but it can still happen. Also watch those blood sugars in diabetics.
- Feb 16, '06 by zacariasLasix should be given slow IV push...it is not a benign drug. If given too fast, it can cause ototoxity or in the worst case scenario, cardiovascular collapse. (the latter won't happen if you remember to to not "shove" the drug in)
- Feb 23, '06 by free50Many thanks to everyone who responded to my request for information on IV Lasix, Phenergan, and Solumedrol. The information was quite helpful and greatly appreciated!