VA job licensing & transfers

  1. On all the open positions for the VA, it reads that one needs to have an active and unrestricted RN license in any of the 50 states, and some of the other U.S. territories. I currently have an active and unrestricted license. I have a hard time believing that I can be considered for a positions at a VA facility in a state other than the one I obtained licensure in, and not have to apply for a new license for the state that the VA facility is located.

    Is anyone out there working under this scenario?? I would LOVE to read your response on this. ALSO, how easy/hard is it to transfer jobs from one VA facility to another?? I look forward to reading your responses. Thanks!
  2. Visit finallyRN7 profile page

    About finallyRN7

    Joined: Jan '11; Posts: 151; Likes: 15
    from US


  3. by   jeckrn
    The VA is federal government and the land that the hospital sits on is federal. Yes, it is true that you do not need a license from the state where the hospital is located at. I worked in PA and used my NY license.

    As far as transfers they do not have them per say. What you have to do is apply for a position at a VA which you wish to move to. If they hire you then you can go work for them. How hard is it, not sure but do know of a couple of nurses who did move to other VA hospitals. If you are able to transfer it most be at the end of one pay period.
  4. by   k.willow
    I worked as an LPN at a VA in IL. I wanted to move to NV and looked for openings. When I found one I liked, I applied, did phone interviews, was hired and moved. I am licensed in WI. The state your license is in doesn't matter as long as it's unrestricted. The VA is a government facility; all government facilities have the same requirement. You could work for the Dept of Defense with a license in any state as well.
  5. by   finallyRN7
    jeckrn and K. willow,

    This is GREAT information! Thanks for replying! :-)