Air Force, Army, and Navy...Help Me Understand...Register Today!
This is a discussion on Air Force, Army, and Navy...Help Me Understand... in Government / Military Nursing, part of Nursing Specialties ... Okay, I have contacted health profession recruiters with the aformentioned branches and I didn't...by AWanderingMinstral May 4, '12Okay, I have contacted health profession recruiters with the aformentioned branches and I didn't realize that there is A date each year that recruitment opens. I assumed it was a rolling process. Can someone clarify this for me? I spoke with an AF recruiter during graduate school and he recently told me that there is no current need for public health officers (RN, BSN, MPH here), but there may be in the fall. The Army recruiter told me the same thing. The Navy recruiter didn't know that they utilize public health nurses and she told me that their date is August 1. Your input in greatly appreciated!
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=706246©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 724 Views
- May 6, '12 by rndiver82What they probably are meaning is there is nothing available in this fiscal year. The military works on a fiscal year cycle as opposed to a calendar year when it comes to their number of available positions. So when they say to ask in the fall, it's usually because they've already filled the slots. I started this process in July/August of last year, and I'm still trying to get a spot. It's super competitive due to the economy and budget trimmings.
- May 6, '12 by LunahRNJust to add: the gov/mil fiscal year starts 1 October.
- May 7, '12 by AWanderingMinstralThanks for the additional information! So, if I had my apps, etc. completed prior to the start of the fiscal year and I'm NOT selected, I'd have to wait another year?
- May 9, '12 by LunahRNQuote from AWanderingMinstralVery likely, unless there is another selection board during the year. I believe some branches also have alternate lists (Air Force, maybe?), so people from the alternate list are chosen a bit later if someone else declines his/her selection.Thanks for the additional information! So, if I had my apps, etc. completed prior to the start of the fiscal year and I'm NOT selected, I'd have to wait another year?
- May 11, '12 by AWanderingMinstralThat's disappointing, LunahRN, but, considering it's government, I'm not terribly surprised. I'm on the fence at this point. Thanks!
- May 11, '12 by deftonez188Don't let that stop you if you really want it.