Totally Had One of Those Days :( - page 2
by Fngrpntsnotasin 2,042 Views | 16 Comments
My pleasently confused little old man pulled his peg-tube completely out this morning! The CNA, who I thought was familiar with the resident, was apparently not familiar with the resident's abdominal binder!!! CNA: "Uh, Mr.... Read More
- 3Mar 18, '10 by MoogieQuote from NurseLoveJoy88Four falls, one shift, SAME RESIDENT.how about 4 falls in one shift!!
Took her to the hospital after one of her falls because she was c/o pain and, not ten minutes later the hospital staff brought her back because she wasn't complaining. Didn't call the doc on call, didn't get an x-ray because she "wasn't in pain". Whatever.
Documented like the dickens that night.
- 0Mar 19, '10 by Not_A_Hat_PersonThe worst shift I can remember was last summer. It was the weekend, and I was in charge. A very heavy downpour caused a power outage during supper. The elevators were out, so about 65 people were stranded in the dining room. Just before the lights came back on, a resident fell in his room.
I ran upstairs, carrying 3 lanterns. An aide was already there, talking to the resident, who was on the floor. The resident's wife, who is a huge witch (with a B) was screaming about how she had been waiting for 10 minutes and where were we and she was paying $X000 a month for nursing care. I asked her what happened. She replied "I'm not part of the health care team! That's not my job! I'm paying $X000 a month for nursing care!"
I replied "I'm trying to help your husband, and you're not giving me much to go on. I'm going to talk to my aide now." I turned to the aide, assessed the the resident, and ignored the wife, who shut up very quickly.
I had a staff meeting today. It started before my shift and went over an hour into my shift. I got to start my 4:00 meds at 4:15, and it snowballed from there. The charge nurse was working sick, and couldn't go into any rooms, so I had no help. It was the Med Pass from Hell.Last edit by Not_A_Hat_Person on Mar 19, '10 : Reason: more information
- 0May 24, '10 by proudtobeRN777Quote from Nuievecant believe ...same things used to happen to me every day ...every single thing .... cant believe more facilities exist like mine...- being 2 weeks new nurse
- a 1 hour meeting in the beginning of shift.
- a new admit (my 1st one that I actually did a part of... assessment and documentation)
- start medpass 2.5 hours into the shift
- wandering/missing pts, half of them... have to run around the whole facility to find them
- everyone suddenly all needy and in pain or just losing their marbles for no reason at all
- A&I just when I started catching up (never done these before)
- understaffed NACs... 2 for 27 pts... one of them is slow, lazy and annoying
- one of the NACs walking away 1.5 hours before the end of shift with only 1 left
- another res screaming for help 24/7 and falling down the bed every two hours (we have mats under her bed, so it doesn't count)
- a brand new (inexperienced) nurse as a partner on the other side of the hall
It wasn't fun.