West Georgia Technical College/West Central Tech Interview?Register Today!
- by jbwood Jan 21, '11Hello all!
I am brand new to the site. A little background on myself: I'm one of those people whose occupation was hit particularly hard by the economic downturn, and I have decided to make a career change to registered nursing. I am 39 y/o, male, and am currently enrolled at West Georgia Technical College. I have applied for Spring Quarter admission to the program. Today, I received my Competitive Selection Score Evaluation in the mail, and feel confident that I will receive an interview based on an overall score of 74.5 out of a possible 75. The interview is what I am most curious about. I was hoping to get some information from those of you that have gone through the process at West Georgia Tech/West Central Tech. What was the interview like? Who was in the room with you? What questions were you asked? I want to be as prepared as possible for the upcoming interview, and any intel would be greatly appreciated.
- Jan 25, '11 by lovinglife1Wow! You done really well. I got my letter and my points were nothing compared to yours. I got 70.7. Hopefully your just really above average. LOL I was also looking for interview questions. If I find them I will let you know. Goodluck. With that score the interview is probably not much for you to worry about.
- Jan 25, '11 by jbwoodThanks for the reply! With the way the college has the competitive selection guidelines set up (25% grades, 50% NLN, and 25% interview) I feel that the interview could be highly subjective. Suppose that the interviewers just don't like a candidate and decide that they don't want them in - all they have to do is mark the interview score low enough so that the grades/NLN portion of it doesn't matter. I would like to get an idea of what type of questions they ask, and who is typically in the room asking those questions. I want to be as prepared as humanly possible.
- Jan 25, '11 by lovinglife1I do know they usually have a mock interview or they did last quarter because I heard people talking about it in my class, so hopefully they will this time to. I just hope to get an interview to know what it is like and I can always retake the NLN if I do not get in this time.
- Jan 26, '11 by HopefulRN2010Congrats on your score! You should feel really confident going into the interview!
I graduated from WGTC RN program last June, and it was the first year they did the interview. But the interview was a "panel" interview. The dean of nursing was in there, as well as, two instructors. And they basically went around asking "interview" questions. "Tell us about yourself", "Why do you want to be a nurse?, "What made you choose WGTC?", etc...
Since the year I interviewed was the first year they used the interview in the process, yours might be a little different. But just go in confident, and my biggest word of advice is to dress nice! I wore a suit, but something dressy, would be suitable. I couldn't believe when I walked in and saw people wearing work out clothes!
Let me know if you have anymore questions. And good luck to both of you!
- Jan 26, '11 by lovinglife1Thank you so much! I am just so nervous thinking about the interview. I just hope I get one and that I don't blow it. I will buy me a new outfit if I just get an interview. Is the program really hard and do they prepare you to take the RN licensure exam? How long are the clinicals? I have heard some people say 2 years and others say a 1 1/2 year. Congrads on finishing, it has to be a great feeling.
- Feb 2, '11 by astarr33I'm currently enrolled in the WGTC RN program. The program is 6 qtrs, with clinicals beginning the first qtr. Clinicals are typically 8 hr shifts, two days a week. However, beginning Fall 2011, the college switches over to semesters. Not sure how that will equate. As to the interview, dress as if going to a job interview. When asked a question, take a moment to take a breath and collect your thoughts, then answer honestly and respectfully. And don't forget to smile and shake hands with each of them when you enter. Best of luck!!
- Feb 3, '11 by lovinglife1Thanks for the advice!
- Mar 9, '11 by lorraineatlCongrats on to both of you on those great scores!
I just finished Micro yesterday and I am taking my NLN on March 24th. I am a little nervous but thats because I don't like test. lol (who does) I was wondering if someone can give me some insite as to what to expect. Can anyone recall how many questions were on each section?
- Apr 22, '11 by DextersmomWow, this is great information. I am taking classes over (because the Sciences are only good for 5 years) and I have many questions about the nursing program. I am contemplating waiting for the new program at the new campus in Coweta (2012) because I live here and I like the idea of the classroom being brand new. Has anyone heard if they've gotten in to clinicals?