Grady Hospital.......Register Today!
- by ChannellR.N. Aug 30, '11HELLO NURSES
I did a post about a month ago stating that Im very intersted in moving to Atlanta GA well I currently work in a hospital in South Carolina...but by the grace of God recieved a called from Grady Memorial Hospital to come in for an interview ....Im very excited and nervous at the same time...Can anyone give me tips or information about Grady I know its a nationally known hospital... also any good areas in Atlanta I can relocate to??? Thanks
- Aug 30, '11 by xtxrnYou might try the Atlanta Chamber of Commerce
- Aug 30, '11 by woohLive up I-85 and take Marta. It's smarta.
Grady is awesome. Two reasons that I don't work there:
I don't like looking like the Michelin man in all white scrubs.
Their funding is always iffy. I'd worry that one week I wouldn't get my paycheck.
That said, no better place to learn. And to learn to be creative (they don't have money to spend on little things like pill cutters.)
- Aug 30, '11 by AKA_Glamour_PearlHi! The last time that I checked Grady Memorial was in a lot of financial trouble. It's been losing money over the years because it's one of the hospitals that accepts patients regardless of their ability to pay, among other things, I suppose. It doesn't have a very good reputation. Well, the last time that I checked it didn't have a fabulous reputation. My family/friends in the Atlanta area always made Grady jokes...even before I ever considered a nursing career. I'm a nurse in a small hospital in SC as well. I was looking at Grady Memorial as well. I remember that it is the only trauma center in the state. I know that it's vital to the area and closure would be devasting to the Atlanta area. In spite of all the Grady jokes, people never know when they may need their services. Just google the website and see what you think. Honestly, despite the negative comments that I heard about the facility, the only thing that I didn't like was that majority of the positions didn't offer benefits. That was about 2years ago when I last looked though. I'm sure things have turned around. Also, there was a big benefit a few years ago backed by celebrities like Ne-yo to save Grady due to the threat of closure. It was all over the ajc. Ajc.com is the atlanta newspaper. Anyway, congrats on the job offer. Take it and move to Atlanta. If you love it at Grady and I hope you do, then Great! If you don't, at least it's a stepping stone and you can find another hospital in the area. Let me know what you think! Congratulations again!
- Aug 31, '11 by TiffyRNSounds like what I've heard about Parkland hospital in Dallas, something about if you were going to die and you were absolutely sure you were going to die then go to Parkland, otherwise stay away.
Also, just a little off topic, one of my favorite book series has a few scenes at Grady. Karin Slaughter's "Grant County' series.
- Aug 31, '11 by PinkRocksLikeMeI worked EMS for Grady, GREAT place to go to learn trauma. It is truly babtism by fire. If you are looking for the touchy feely kind of hospital this is not for you. But if you are looking to get great trauma experience it is the place to be.
One thing I thought was VERY odd, when I went in for my drug test, I saw with my own eyes a patient come in with a brown paper bag and he pulled out cups of FILLED urine cups, they have like 2 bathrooms to do a urine drug test. He put a couple of filled cups on each bathroom and this was right in front of the nurses! They had people coming in there that were on methadone maintance and I guess these were for those people IDK but it was strange. Unfortunatly I had to leave because of a dire family emergency. It might be completely different now. Good luck on your interview, let us know how it goes. What area of the hospital did you apply online for? They have an EXCELLENT burn unit there!
Good Luck either way,
- Sep 2, '11 by ChannellR.N.Hey Guys......Thank you sooooo much for all the informative information it was very helpful.....i always heard horror stories about Grady but I also know that the experience their is PRICELESS ... Ill keep you guys posted on the how the interview goes...and Thanks again!!!!