1.How long have you been working as a nurse or are you a nursing student? Just finished my first year of nursing school (well in 5 more days)
2.Are you involve in nursing politics in any way? Not really
3. Is there any policies you would like to see implemented in the coming years?Would like to see a lot of hospitals adapt better nurse to pt ratios. What I read on these forums is appalling and the ratios my local hospital have are really good.
4. Do you think there is a shortage of nurses? Yes and No, there needs to be more nurses at hospitals to have better ratios and what not but it's an administration thing. There is NOT a shortage of NEW GRAD nurses though and that seems to be very confusing for some to understand. New Grads are not in the same category and while some places might be having a nursing shortage, it doesn't usually flow over to the new grads.
5. How well do you function if you have a big workload and a lot of patients? Haven't had that personally happen, the ratios at the hospitals I have been at are great.
6. Do you think you will do better quality work if you had less patients?I think this would be a yes to anyone that is not in a good place with good ratios. The patients would get better care as well.
7. Do you think there is an increase in violence against nurses? I don't know, I have heard stories but haven't seen it myself yes.
8. Do you have any personal experiences with violence from patients?no
9. If you did experience violence from a patient how did you handle the situation? N/A
10. Do you believe patients should be charged with a felony if they were violent with a nurse? I think depending on the situation ABSOLUTELY. If the patient has Alzheimer for example and has no capability to understand their actions then that's one thing. If the guy is on drugs or drunk and punches you that is another thing. That wouldn't fly in public and shouldn't fly in the hospital.
11. Would you feel safer if a bill was passed that charged violent patients that assault nurses with a felony? Yes, again depending on the type of patient.
12. What are your concerns about the nursing field?My safety and having good administration that has your backs and puts it's employees health and safety first.