Steps in bladder training of a patient on foley catheter
- 0Apr 16, '11 by jlsrhello everyone,
i'm new to allnurses.com and would like to ask on what are the steps in bladder training of a patient on foley catheter.
step 1: ?
step 2: ?
step 3: ?
please share your knowledge.
- 14,174 Views
- 2Apr 16, '11 by ErinSI guess I could be wrong, but my experience is this: take catheter out. Take pt to the bathroom every 2 hours. Bladder scan if pt has not voided in 6 hours. Call md if pt has not voided and has a lot of urine in bladder (I usually called for more than 300ml). Re-scan every few hours or until pt has voided to ensure they are not retaining urine.
- 2Apr 16, '11 by ZippyGBRoften this is going to be for people who've had a catheer for a while and/or have neurological issues
step one - explain the process and gain consent !
step two - put a catheter valve on
step three - build up time (and therefore bladder volume) between opening the valve
step four - discuss the next options and gain consent
step 5 Trial without / trials of voiding / bladder scans
if they fail the trial without decide whether to go for intermittants or re insert an indwelling ( and valve) pending a further trial without
for someone who has been catheterised for hours to days
1. explain and obtain consent
2. trial without , bladder scans post void to confirm emptying ...
failure of trial without = can't void or consistently > 100 - 150 ml post void