Private CNA?

  1. I am a new CNA and will be starting nursing school this fall. An acquaintance just asked me if I was interested in helping out her mother, who is recovering from a broken hip and cannot be left at home alone. If I decide to work for her as a private CNA, what should I keep in mind? I will need liability insurance, right? If so, do you have any advice on what company to get it from? Are there other liability or safety issues I need to think about? Any general advice? I've been self-employed for years as a copyeditor, but I'm a brand-new CNA in North Carolina and haven't worked in the medical field before. Thanks!
  2. Visit queenjulie profile page

    About queenjulie

    Joined: Mar '10; Posts: 162; Likes: 190


  3. by   caliotter3
    You should draw up a written contract. I saw an example one time but haven't been able to find it since. It does not have to be elaborate. They should be taking out your employment taxes for you. If they do not, then you are responsible. Some research on the internet should help you with that aspect. A resource for liability insurance is Best to meet with the lady and her family and have the ground rules laid out. You should not encounter any difficulties. Make certain that if you are to be alone with the lady, that you have a list of emergency contacts and that you discuss emergency actions. Let everyone know that if something happens while the family is away, you will call 911 immediately, then call them, if it is life threatening. Also don't forget to ask them if they would be willing to act as references in the future!
  4. by   KtHospiceRNCM
    I have been a CNA for 8 years in Illinois (the past 5 years in Home Health/Hospice), I will be starting the nursing program this fall also (Congrats!).
    I currently have 2 people I care for "on the side" and have had others in the past. I have not met any CNAs/caregivers that have liability insurance. Also, with private caregiving, it is usually cash paying. If the client wishes to report the money paid for caregiving they usually go through an Agency so they receive a 1099.
    As the last post says, you should have a very clear understanding as to what they are wanting you to do and what to do should an issue arise (call 911, call a family member, etc).
  5. by   nursejoy1
    Also, Check with your state agency to find out what you need to do to ensure that you retain your certification. For example- in Alabama, you must work a minimum of 8 hours in a long term care facility every 2 years as well as get a minimum of 24 contact hours of continuing education in the same time frame. I did the private CNA gig for 8 years and loved it. Best of luck to you.