I am a phd candidate from the University of Texas Medical Branch. I am currently focused on looking into OR efficiency and causes of delays. Nurses in the operating room play a centralized role in the basic structure and function of the workflow. I would like to know a few things:
1. What does a typical day look like for an OR nurse?
2. What kind of metrics are recorded regarding surgeries (intubated patient, start time, etc). and how are they recorded? Do you find that process accurate?
3. How common are delays in procedures? What is the major cause for these disruptions in workflow?
4. As far as efficiency is concerned, what are your main pain points, where are you most frustrated?
5. How common are cancellations? do they come from patient or hospital?
6. Did you have a particular departmental specialization? How does that compare to general surgery?
7. How has your department approached delays and inefficient turnover time in the past?
I really would like to thank anyone who can give me a bit more insight into this.
If you are a student at the University of Texas Medical Branch, you likely have an associated facility. Why not touch base with management there and at other local facilities? Any information you obtain from this website may or may not be accurate- and those who respond may not have the credentials they claim to have. It's not a reliable source of research.