So much I like about my job (L&D, mom/baby, Level II nursery):
- working for a pro-nursing hospital
- my fabulous coworkers, I work with a GREAT bunch!
- being present at a birth; every baby is such a miracle
- the simple, heartfelt "thank you" we get from a new mom after supporting them through a long, rough labor
- change of shift deliveries
(I love labor but I hate the recovery & clean up, and it feels great to labor with someone all night, get to meet the baby and then GO HOME!)
- baby baths. Even when the baby doesn't like it :chuckle
- working with preemies in the nursery. "Growing" them, and sending them home, when they're going to a good home & a great family
- all the treats the families send us! (oh, wait, maybe that should be a dislike, I gained back all the weight I lost on WW last fall and then some!)
- when I have time, I love making special crib cards for the nursery babies with handprints or footprints; I keep a pile of scrapbooking paper at work just for that purpose
- the constant opportunities for learning
- the smells of birth: blood, vernix, placentas, poop
- change of shift deliveries that leave me with just the recovery & clean-up (get what I deserve, eh?)
- laboring with a woman all night long and not getting to meet the baby before I go home.
- working with preemies in the nursery. "Growing" them, and sending them home, when I know they're not going home to a good family
We had a baby come back to the hospital recently, just a few weeks after discharge, for "trauma"
- that one doctor in every practice with the big ego