here are some questions i asked at my interviews. i collected these from a number of sources and don't take credit for coming up with them :wink2:
1. what is the patient to staff ratio?
2. what is the minimum and maximum number of patients a nurse will be assigned?
3. what is the turnover rate of the staff on that particular floor?
4. what type of personnel support should the nurse expect on any given shift? for instance, what is the required minimum and maximum number of nursing assistants or techs per shift on the floor?
5. what is the minimum number of nurses staffed per shift?
6. does the hospital have a mandatory overtime or float policy? how is it determined who will work overtime or float where?
7. is there a required formal orientation program? if so, how long, who conducts it, will this person(s) be willing and available when orientation or preceptorship is over? you may want to ask to see a sample copy of their orientation program.
8. education reimbursement
9. what are the opportunities for on-the-job education?
10. bsn completion
11. credit for ba
12. "what type of personal qualities make someone excel in this position?" (they loved this question!)
13. parking fees and availability
14. how does management handle patient complaints? how does it handle employee complaints? what are the formal processes for these?