Foley care with providone iodineRegister Today!
- by hnwxmo Dec 7, '11Will you use providone iodine to clean a long term Foley catheter daily? would very appreciate your discussion and/or opinions.Last edit by hnwxmo on Dec 8, '11
Print and share with friends and family.
Compliments of allnurses.com.
http://allnurses.com/showthread.php?t=651043©2013 allnurses.com INC. All Rights Reserved.
- 1,106 Views
- Dec 8, '11 by onyx77I have never seen nor heard of it being used as a daily thing for a long term foley. Have only used it with inserting one. Generally normal peri-care is used with careful attention.
- Dec 8, '11 by xtxrnWhat does the policy and procedure manual at your facility say???
And is the patient allergic to iodine?
- Dec 8, '11 by Ashley, PICU RNDaily cleansing with iodine swabs are the standard where I work- no matter how long the foley had been in. However I expect this to change soon, as it's no longer evidence based practice. Mild soap and water work just as well.
- Dec 8, '11 by merleeNo, regular peri-care only.
- Dec 8, '11 by hnwxmoThank you for all of your responses. There is no standard in this clinic. when I taught my pt's family to do daily care only and one of the reach MD question me and other RN stated she used providone while she worked in the hospital.
- Dec 8, '11 by merleeHospital-based infection control is often different from home-based practice. Standard peri-care is what I have seen in homes for many years.
- Dec 8, '11 by woohKeep in mind the betadine is VERY irritating to the skin/tissue in that area. You came after me daily with betadine, I'd be VERY unhappy with you.