Derm Nursing?Register Today!
- by dream-a-little-dream Sep 22, '11Does anyone have any insight on Dermatology Nursing? It isn't listed on this site for a "specialty" group, and when I try and search for jobs, virtually nothing comes up. Is anyone out there a Derm nurse? Is it true that only MA's and NP's assist the MD? It's the only field I desire to work in, and I want to be a Comsetic Derm Nurse, but don't know the first step to take.
- 1,524 Views
- Sep 22, '11 by msgirl68I always ask at the local Medi Spas and they say PA's and Med Assistants are doing the injectibles. I wonder who does the laser treatments. Was very interested at one time but don't want to spend thousands on classes and not be able to do the procedures.
- Sep 22, '11 by PetiteOpRNQuote from msgirl68MA's do not inject anything (in most facilities).I always ask at the local Medi Spas and they say PA's and Med Assistants are doing the injectibles. I wonder who does the laser treatments. Was very interested at one time but don't want to spend thousands on classes and not be able to do the procedures.
Estheticians/nurses/PAs generally do laser treatments (sometimes the MD). Depending on the state, estheticians may or may not be able to administer fillers/botox. (Kansas does not require licensure; Missouri requires at least an RN).
- Sep 24, '11 by brandy1017I know someone who was a derm nurse now NP. There was a job opening hospital medi-spa and they trained her on the job. She worked along side the estheticians and surgeons, did chemical peels, botox, and lasers! Probably have to inquire at medical spa's, some are affiliated with hospitals.
- Feb 11, '12 by littlekaneRNI know this is from a few months ago, but I am a new derm nurse. In the practice where I am, the MD only hires RNs as staff aside from the ladies at the desk and managers. We see all derm patients including cosmetic. The MD is the ONLY one who does injectables, we are not allowed to even mix them if needed. There is one nurse who has been trained to do laser treatments/chemical peels/microdermabrasions. I luckily knew a nurse there from school, so that is how I got in. I would either walk in and ask to speak with the head nurse or MD/hand them a resume or fax one in to the MD or head nurse.
I hope you have found your derm job !