Need information regarding Deaconess Clinicals

Nursing Students Online Learning

Published

I am going to be starting the on-line ASN program at Deaconess College in the summer. I am excited but also a little nervous. Is there anyone out there that can give me some pointers on how to go about finding a clinical site that would work with me. Is it too early to start looking now since I won't be starting my clinicals till September? Thanks!

I am going to be starting the on-line ASN program at Deaconess College in the summer. I am excited but also a little nervous. Is there anyone out there that can give me some pointers on how to go about finding a clinical site that would work with me. Is it too early to start looking now since I won't be starting my clinicals till September? Thanks!

Rhogade,

I would recommend getting started now on securing clinical support from a local hospital. I began making calls and mailing out information to hospitals as soon as I knew I was accepted. My approach was to first make a list of hospitals in driving distance and then contact each of these facility's HR department. Ask to for the name and phone number for the Director of Education. Then speak with or leave a message with the Director (short & sweet) about who you are and what you need. Then mail information from the Deaconess website, i.e. School Mission Page, Preceptor Resources and include these with a nice formal letter about yourself and your goals. Then follow up with a phone call about a week and a half later.

This is exactly how I did my search for a clinical site and it worked for me! Don't be discouraged if you are turned down by a facility. Just keeping knocking on doors. Also be to sure to sound confident and informed about the Deaconess program and why it is important to you to meet the goal you have set for yourself.

Let me know if I can offer any other help.

Cheri

Specializes in Child/Adolescent Mental Health.
Rhogade,

I would recommend getting started now on securing clinical support from a local hospital. I began making calls and mailing out information to hospitals as soon as I knew I was accepted. My approach was to first make a list of hospitals in driving distance and then contact each of these facility's HR department. Ask to for the name and phone number for the Director of Education. Then speak with or leave a message with the Director (short & sweet) about who you are and what you need. Then mail information from the Deaconess website, i.e. School Mission Page, Preceptor Resources and include these with a nice formal letter about yourself and your goals. Then follow up with a phone call about a week and a half later.

This is exactly how I did my search for a clinical site and it worked for me! Don't be discouraged if you are turned down by a facility. Just keeping knocking on doors. Also be to sure to sound confident and informed about the Deaconess program and why it is important to you to meet the goal you have set for yourself.

Let me know if I can offer any other help.

Cheri

Cheri is giving you excellent advice here. This is often a very challenging area regarding this program but I am thinking that more times than not it works out in the end.

Good Luck

+ Add a Comment