staff development certification

Specialties Educators

Published

I am interested in certifying in nursing staff development, but I need some advice on how best to prepare (study/review). Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there a "review" manual out there somewhere?

Funny you should post this now.... I just learned on Wednesday from the Chauncey Group [the people who give the exams for ANCC], that I passed my October 18, 2003 examination in Nursing Professional Development!!!!!!!!!!

My other NP friends think I am insane, but that's another story.

How did I prepare for the exam???? Truthfully, I did not study for the exam.

However, if you are interested in studying for it--- go to:

http://nnsdo.org/Index.htm

Click on 'publications and products' and then click on 'Publications'... the first item should be "Core Curriculum for Nursing Staff Development, 2nd Edition." It costs $150.

I have the original version of the book, which I think was copyrighted in 1995. I did skim through the book on the two nights before the exam... but since I have almost a PhD in Health Science Education, I was feeling rather arrogant about it.

Good luck if you should take the test.

Specializes in Prof. Development, New Grad. Residency.

Yes, the website that time referred to is your best source for ALL Staff Dev. resources. The organization NNSDO is a national group that is for US! NNSDO has over 2K members and has many publications available, as well as an annual convention. Dues are reasonable & include the Journal for Nurses in Staff Development, from which I end up making nearly all the articles available to someone in our hospital! {U}Journal for Nurses in Staff Development{/U}. Good luck.

Jean---

are you an NNSDO member? I was considering it.... but I am just not sure. I wonder if they are very 'acute care' only oriented, or if they balance between various staff development settings.

Specializes in ER, ICU, Nursing Education, LTC, and HHC.

I have joined the organization of NNSDO, as I want ed to take advantage of the discounted rate for the exam. I have been in staff development 2 years, but have been teaching about 6 of my 16 yrs as an RN, I am looking into MSN programs, and thought about doing it in Nursing education instead of nursing .. what do you all think? Would I be better off doing it in MSN instear of education?

Specializes in Critical Care, Telemetry.

There is a core curriculum for nursing staff development which probably has everything in it that you need for the exam...similar to AACN's Core Curriculum for critical care nursing. I am a member of NNSDO as well. They focus more on the staff development aspect rather than the actual subject matter being taught...in other words, I find it applicable to any setting where there is staff development...not really singling out acute care vs. long term vs. etc.

Specializes in Prof. Development, New Grad. Residency.

:coollook: QUOTE=Tim-GNP]Jean---

are you an NNSDO member? I was considering it.... but I am just not sure. I wonder if they are very 'acute care' only oriented, or if they balance between various staff development settings.

Yes, I have been since 1995. They are a wonderful resource, and have Interest groups for LTC and Home Nursing, as well as trying to draw i those concerned with pt. eduation and schools of nursing. The Annual convention brochure is posted on the website. It is in San Diego July 29-Aug. 1, at the Marriott waterside. At the convention, they have all the books/products for sale, great networking, poster sessions, vendors, as well as terrific Keynotes & general sessions, aimed at various levels of educator.

You can join on the website; it's $75, which includes the Journal of Nurses in Staff Development. Please mention me, asI am on the Membership Committee and would credit for bringing in a new person.

Hope to see you in San Diego!

Yes, the website that time referred to is your best source for ALL Staff Dev. resources. The organization NNSDO is a national group that is for US! NNSDO has over 2K members and has many publications available, as well as an annual convention. Dues are reasonable & include the Journal for Nurses in Staff Development, from which I end up making nearly all the articles available to someone in our hospital! {U}Journal for Nurses in Staff Development{/U}. Good luck.

so cool...thanks for sharing the site. will join in jan or feb. Lynne

I am trying to persuade my boss that I should attend the NNSDO Convention July 21-24. Is it still a good convention? From the looks of the outline for the convention, it looks very beneficial.

Any comments are greatly appreciated.

Monica, I was just accepted to graduate school at Texas Christian University in Ft Worth, Tx. They have an online MSN in Nursing Education. It's basically a CNS track with education components thrown in. You do not sit for NP boards. But you can teach in most most BSN programs and hospital education departments. University of Phoenix and University also have online programs.

+ Add a Comment