OK I made a mistake.... but am I in danger of failing clinical now?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Okay so I made a really huge mistake today. I'm in my first year of nursing school and finishing up my second semester which is medsurg. We have needle boxes where we throw the needles in when we're finished, its biohazard and stuff. And those are located in every room of the hospital. Well on my floor we have this conference room in the back where we all do our charting, and go over our meds with the instructor and do our paperwork. This is pretty much a student area and the nurses don't come in unless they are looking for one of us. At one time this was a 3 bed hospital room but it hasn't been since we started in January. There are no beds in there just tables and chairs. So today as I was walking out of the room... (dont ask why I did it bc I DONT KNOW!). I looked at the needle box on the wall and saw that there was a piece of paper that looked like a note folded up in there. I just wasn't thinking and I went to grab the paper out of there to throw it away. I thought since this room isn't used there wouldn't be needles in there.... which I know it was wrong of me to ASSUME that. And I didn't think before doing it. After doing it the one lady who was walking out wtih me started flipping out and saying omg I cant believe you did that, what if you got stuck! etc etc I realized what I did then and there and I went and washed my hands. I did not get stuck or even touch a needle. The only thing I touched was the paper. Then I went out in the hallway for a little bit. After that I came back into the back room and I got an attitude with the lady who flipped out and did i forget to mention... TOLD THE WHOLE CLINICAL GROUP about what I did. I told her that it was my business and I'll do what I want. So I figured this was the end of it. Next thing I know we're all going to lunch and then my instructor points at me and says "you stay here." I instantly thought omg what a ***** for telling on me!, then I thought oh no im in trouble! So she basically said she couldn't have unsafe people in her clinical group on the floor and she told me to go to the nursing school which is 10 minutes away to talk to the nursing director. I was shocked... she didn't even give me a chance to explain or ask me what happened. I got tears in my eyes but I didn't really cry or start bawling. Keep in mind that this was my last day on the clinical floor because the next 2 clinical days I am in the OR and the semester will be over after that. So then I realized that I didn't drive to school today and rode with a friend. SO i went to tell the teacher that and another friend in the class was with me and she offered to drive me over to the school and just stop somewhere that has a drive thru to eat her lunch. The instructor said that was okay and she said she woudl tell my friend who I rode with to school what happened and to pick me up at the school when we were done with clnical. So I'm trying to keep it together and I was talking to my friend about it while walking to her car and of course I couldn't help but crying. Everyone is afraid of the nursing director and thinks shes so mean and so unfair blah blah blah. I just decided that I was going to tell the director exactly what happeend, not lie about it, and tell her that I learned my lesson. Well once I went to see her... she was soo nice. I told her everything and I realized exactly what I did wrong. She said to me" you know what happens when you assume something about clinical (assuming no needles would be in the needle box because the room is not used for a pt room).....it makes an ass out of you and me." I kept my cool while talking to her and was very direct and polite. Then she said I violated a disciplinary rule of the school or something. I told her I was extremely sorry and it would not happen again. I admitted that I was wrong and all that. So the nshe kind of lectured me on needle stick injuries. After that she told me that she wants me to give her an article next week about needle stick injuries and tell her what I learned. Wow I was relieved when I heard that! Turns out everyone in my clnical group was worried about me... and the lady who told the instructor on me was crying the entire afternoon because she felt so bad about what happened. She didn't think the instructor would take it that far and she just thought the instructor would lecture me on it and that would be all. She was really upset and worried about me. So then she wanted me to call her and gave someone her number to give to me to make sure everything was okay. I talked to her and everything is good. Now here is the hard part...... I've asked my instructor a few weeks ago and today if I was in danger of failing clnical. This is because she tears my papers apart and puts redmarks all over everythign I hand in. She said no both times so I was glad about that. But NOW.... this little incident happened. I didn't really give it much thought until now that just because the director of nursing did not kick me out of the program that I can still fail clniical because the clinical instructor decides. Is this enough to make me fail?? Is there anything you could reccomend me doing? I would hate to fail clnical because of this even though I know I shouldn't have done it. SHould I email my instructor and tell her what happened exactly and let her know I'm sorry and tell her that I'll give her the same article and explain to her what I learned? I don't want to get an objective not met just because of this error I made. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES>... no one is perfect. It wasn't like I made a med error or put my patients safety in jeapordy. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do??? I'm going to be worrying about this and the big exam I have coming up. Should I go and talk to the instructor? Is this even grounds for dfailing the program? I just don't know what to do .... i feel helpless and I hate it. I just wish I would have though before doing it. Any suggestions anyone?? Help me someone...:scrying: :scrying: :bluecry1:

Okay so I made a really huge mistake today. I'm in my first year of nursing school and finishing up my second semester which is medsurg. We have needle boxes where we throw the needles in when we're finished, its biohazard and stuff. And those are located in every room of the hospital. Well on my floor we have this conference room in the back where we all do our charting, and go over our meds with the instructor and do our paperwork. This is pretty much a student area and the nurses don't come in unless they are looking for one of us. At one time this was a 3 bed hospital room but it hasn't been since we started in January. There are no beds in there just tables and chairs. So today as I was walking out of the room... (dont ask why I did it bc I DONT KNOW!). I looked at the needle box on the wall and saw that there was a piece of paper that looked like a note folded up in there. I just wasn't thinking and I went to grab the paper out of there to throw it away. I thought since this room isn't used there wouldn't be needles in there.... which I know it was wrong of me to ASSUME that. And I didn't think before doing it. After doing it the one lady who was walking out wtih me started flipping out and saying omg I cant believe you did that, what if you got stuck! etc etc I realized what I did then and there and I went and washed my hands. I did not get stuck or even touch a needle. The only thing I touched was the paper. Then I went out in the hallway for a little bit. After that I came back into the back room and I got an attitude with the lady who flipped out and did i forget to mention... TOLD THE WHOLE CLINICAL GROUP about what I did. I told her that it was my business and I'll do what I want. So I figured this was the end of it. Next thing I know we're all going to lunch and then my instructor points at me and says "you stay here." I instantly thought omg what a ***** for telling on me!, then I thought oh no im in trouble! So she basically said she couldn't have unsafe people in her clinical group on the floor and she told me to go to the nursing school which is 10 minutes away to talk to the nursing director. I was shocked... she didn't even give me a chance to explain or ask me what happened. I got tears in my eyes but I didn't really cry or start bawling. Keep in mind that this was my last day on the clinical floor because the next 2 clinical days I am in the OR and the semester will be over after that. So then I realized that I didn't drive to school today and rode with a friend. SO i went to tell the teacher that and another friend in the class was with me and she offered to drive me over to the school and just stop somewhere that has a drive thru to eat her lunch. The instructor said that was okay and she said she woudl tell my friend who I rode with to school what happened and to pick me up at the school when we were done with clnical. So I'm trying to keep it together and I was talking to my friend about it while walking to her car and of course I couldn't help but crying. Everyone is afraid of the nursing director and thinks shes so mean and so unfair blah blah blah. I just decided that I was going to tell the director exactly what happeend, not lie about it, and tell her that I learned my lesson. Well once I went to see her... she was soo nice. I told her everything and I realized exactly what I did wrong. She said to me" you know what happens when you assume something about clinical (assuming no needles would be in the needle box because the room is not used for a pt room).....it makes an ass out of you and me." I kept my cool while talking to her and was very direct and polite. Then she said I violated a disciplinary rule of the school or something. I told her I was extremely sorry and it would not happen again. I admitted that I was wrong and all that. So the nshe kind of lectured me on needle stick injuries. After that she told me that she wants me to give her an article next week about needle stick injuries and tell her what I learned. Wow I was relieved when I heard that! Turns out everyone in my clnical group was worried about me... and the lady who told the instructor on me was crying the entire afternoon because she felt so bad about what happened. She didn't think the instructor would take it that far and she just thought the instructor would lecture me on it and that would be all. She was really upset and worried about me. So then she wanted me to call her and gave someone her number to give to me to make sure everything was okay. I talked to her and everything is good. Now here is the hard part...... I've asked my instructor a few weeks ago and today if I was in danger of failing clnical. This is because she tears my papers apart and puts redmarks all over everythign I hand in. She said no both times so I was glad about that. But NOW.... this little incident happened. I didn't really give it much thought until now that just because the director of nursing did not kick me out of the program that I can still fail clniical because the clinical instructor decides. Is this enough to make me fail?? Is there anything you could reccomend me doing? I would hate to fail clnical because of this even though I know I shouldn't have done it. SHould I email my instructor and tell her what happened exactly and let her know I'm sorry and tell her that I'll give her the same article and explain to her what I learned? I don't want to get an objective not met just because of this error I made. EVERYONE MAKES MISTAKES>... no one is perfect. It wasn't like I made a med error or put my patients safety in jeapordy. Does anyone have any suggestions what to do??? I'm going to be worrying about this and the big exam I have coming up. Should I go and talk to the instructor? Is this even grounds for dfailing the program? I just don't know what to do .... i feel helpless and I hate it. I just wish I would have though before doing it. Any suggestions anyone?? Help me someone...:scrying: :scrying: :bluecry1:

I don't know about your school but YES that is absolutely grounds for failure at mine. Not only did you put yourself in danger but you are far enough in school to know better than that. Yes everyone makes mistakes so I completely understand the mistake part, but it's a biohazard container, what could possiably be important on a peice of paper in a biohazard container? I am not trying to make you feel worse so don't let it come across that way but you need to have a serious talk with your instructor because at my school the instructors pass or fail you from clinical NOT THE DIRECTOR. All i can say is you should do some serious butt kissing or explaining or something.

No, I don't think you will fail on just that incident alone. You didn't actually reach your hand INSIDE the biohazard container did you? Yes, you should have known better than to do that but you've already expressed that to your clinical instructor. My advise now would be to be very careful because although that may not cause you to have to repeat this clinical, they may watch you more closely. Mistakes do happen...don't beat yourself up over it. Keep us posted and let us know what happens.

Oh.. you poor thing.. I know you must be really stressed.. I would not email your professor.. If she already said you were not in danger of failing, then just leave it at that and LAY LOW for a while.. Everyone makes mistakes and unless you were a problem child or whatever, I don't think that what you did could be grounds for dismissal.. Try not to stress about it.. sometimes we imagine situations to be worse in our heads than they actually are.. Plus I also see you wrote the post at 9:37 pm... things always seem worse at night huh? take care and I am sure things will be fine..

Specializes in Pediatric Pulmonology and Allergy.

Oh god. This is like the 10 zillionth post I've read along the same lines. I know how important it is to train nurses well and someday they'll have a life in their hands, but puh-leeze can't mistakes be handled with a little less drama? I really don't understand why someone makes a thoughtless mistake, without endangering anyone's life, and the person needs to be publicly lashed and pilloried. It's enough just to point out the mistake and move on. WHAT is gained by adding humiliation in the bargain? What's the point of making nursing students so paranoid that they're bound to mess up just out of nervousness? Does everyone have to be motivated out of FEAR OF HUMILIATION AND PUNISHMENT rather than sincere desire to learn and do their job well? The thought of having someone's life in my hands is enough to motivate me to do the best job possible. Fear of humiliation and punishment will only make me neurotic. I hope I don't encounter such instructors, but if I do I'll do my best to show myself in the best light in order to keep playing and let their attitude roll right off my back.

Chaya, you are so right. All of this can be handled matter of factly without a bunch of fear, tears, condemnation, and assorted pathological psychology!

SHEESH!

Oh my god, I still can't believe that your classmate ratted you out to your instructor. I wouldn't email the instructor, I would just lay low and pay close attention to what you are doing. I know when you make a mistake it can be like a spot light is on you and everyone watches you, which makes you nervous even if you weren't before, don't let it shake your confidence. I know you learned a lot from this incident and everyone makes mistakes so hold you head up, put it behind you and get on with finishing this semester. Don't let it play over and over in your head and impact everything you do for the rest of the semester because you can't change the mistake but you can control how it affects your performance from here on out.

Yah it was pretty immature of my fellow student to tell on me to my instructor. What makes it worse is that I'm 20 years old, and shes 40+(not real sure her exact age). The thing is about laying low.... I will not be seeing my clinical instructor in clinical at ALL anymore. The last 2 days of clniical for me will be spent in the OR with a different instructor. So I was thinking maybe emailing would be the best thing to do. SO I don't have to do it face to face and I won't lose anything by doing it...or end up crying. I was also thinking about asking the director, on tues when i give her the needle stick article, if this is grounds for dismissal. I would also address to my clinical instructor that she did tell me 2 TIMES that I was not in danger of failing clinical. Then when I brought up about her tearing my papers apart she said theres a number of factors that decide whether you pass or fail. I've been really safe this semester... never had a med error or any kind of errors really. The only errors I have had have been on my paperwork. I'm just so nervous about this. How sad would it be that I have to repeat this semester because I stuck my hand into a needle container and a fellow student took it upon herself to tattle on me.

Oh.. you poor thing.. I know you must be really stressed.. I would not email your professor.. If she already said you were not in danger of failing, then just leave it at that and LAY LOW for a while.. Everyone makes mistakes and unless you were a problem child or whatever, I don't think that what you did could be grounds for dismissal.. Try not to stress about it.. sometimes we imagine situations to be worse in our heads than they actually are.. Plus I also see you wrote the post at 9:37 pm... things always seem worse at night huh? take care and I am sure things will be fine..

Oh and I don't know if I made it clear or not... but when I asked my clinical instructor yesterday if I was going to fail clinical... that was BEFORE all of this drama happened. :uhoh21:

Is there any instructors in here who can give me some advice on what to do???

You are way ahead of me in school, we haven't even given meds in clinical yet. Did our practicums but not at clinical. I guess I would email her...I am just thinking of my instructor, seems like everything really irritates her. I would ask the director like you said. I know it is driving you nuts, it would be driving me nuts too.

Yah it was pretty immature of my fellow student to tell on me to my instructor. What makes it worse is that I'm 20 years old, and shes 40+(not real sure her exact age). The thing is about laying low.... I will not be seeing my clinical instructor in clinical at ALL anymore. The last 2 days of clniical for me will be spent in the OR with a different instructor. So I was thinking maybe emailing would be the best thing to do. SO I don't have to do it face to face and I won't lose anything by doing it...or end up crying. I was also thinking about asking the director, on tues when i give her the needle stick article, if this is grounds for dismissal. I would also address to my clinical instructor that she did tell me 2 TIMES that I was not in danger of failing clinical. Then when I brought up about her tearing my papers apart she said theres a number of factors that decide whether you pass or fail. I've been really safe this semester... never had a med error or any kind of errors really. The only errors I have had have been on my paperwork. I'm just so nervous about this. How sad would it be that I have to repeat this semester because I stuck my hand into a needle container and a fellow student took it upon herself to tattle on me.

Maybe you could also give your clinical instructor a copy of the article as well? That way you could feel her out.. and it will give you a change to apologize again..

Chaya, I TOTALLY agree... My school was not like that at all.. They were not dramatic and they always said "we arent here to weed you out.. that has already been done in your pre-reqs. We are here to make you good nurses."

I had the most awesome instructors.. intimidation was NOT part of the curiculum! But I have read so many drama filled posts on this board.. It completely irritates me to see that.. Why do those instructors do that to those students! There is a way to make full grown adults good nurses without the drama..

+ Add a Comment