Lpn Wage / Lpn Agency

Nurses New Nurse

Published

Hi everyone,

I recently graduated in BC as a full scope LPN, but originally was from Edmonton, AB. LPNs in Vancouver, BC start at $22.95. And i had found out that LPNs in edmonton make a lot less. How much is "a lot less"? i have been getting different reviews and was wondering if someone can tell me whats accurate?

Also, i have been debating wether or not i should move back to Edmonton to work or stay in vancouver. Depending on the rate difference i will decide where to live...

I have heard about a LPN AGENCY where they hire LPNs from BC to work outside of the province... such as Edmonton, Okanagan, Toronto etc and get paid STARTING at $26/hr -Accomodations paid.

I would like to know more information about this PLEASE.. if someone can help me out!!

THANK YOU

Specializes in NICU, PICU, PCVICU and peds oncology.

The Alberta Union of Public Employees which bargains for the LPNs has just reached a settlement that will be voted on by mail-in ballot and results of the ratification known by the end of August. They were successful in improving the collective agreement in several areas, but the improvements won't be in place immediately.

LPN hourly rates of pay will go from the current $17.91 on the first step and $23.45 at the eighth step to $20.69 and $27.08 on ratification with full retroactivity to the contract expiry date of March 31. Next year those rates will go to $21.72 and $28.44, $22.70 and $29.72 or more in 2010 and $23.72 and $31.06 or more in 2011.

In addition, the shift differentials will increase on January 1 as follows: evening will from $1.75 an hour to $2.50 in '09 and $2.75 in '10; nights will go from $2.00 to $4.25 in '09 and $5.00 in '10; weekends will go from $1.75 to $2.75 in '09 and $3.25 in '10. These differentials are in addition to the hourly rate.

The draft collective agreement summary can be viewed here: http://clubweb.interbaun.com/~aupepr/ANC-TA-Summ.pdf

But remember UNE (employed BScN students in 2nd and 3rd year) start at over $23/hour, carry no more than four patients and work to LPN scope of practice.

Not a good offer at all. If $23+/hour is good enough for a basic nurse who doesn't even have her own license, carry a full patient load, or do all her own meds, it an INSULT to offer less to a new LPN who has completed her education, passed CPNRE and carries a full patient assignment.

THANK YOU,

Do i have to be working in Edmonton to be getting the yearly raise... or can I still get the same raise when i move there next year or in a couple of years?..

Because BC's lpn starting wage is now $23.75... and even with the 5% increase on the first step / 2nd step lpns... BC is still paying a higher wage- minimum...

Specializes in NICU, PICU, PCVICU and peds oncology.

Hmm, I think there's a portability clause in the contract that would have you placed on the pay ladder based on years of work experience. Basically for every 2000 or so hours you work, you'd be moved up the ladder a year/step. So if you've worked full time for three years, you'd be on the 4th step. But I'm not all that versed in the LPN contract. Fiona59??

Better late than never.

From what I recall, you get placed on the wage scale by hours of experience, not what you made working in your previous province. I know that when I worked in BC, I made more than I did here, but when I returned to AB, I went to the appropriate AUPE step.

So, in a nutshell, you'll make whatever step your hours get you, there is no matching because you made more elsewhere.

Just a question about wages in BC. So there are only 2 steps in BC? Is the 2nd step 23.75? and Im just wondering if Alberta's has changed do you see BC and Saskatchewan's? Im from Saskatoon and our contract was up last March so just curious if anyone knows.

Thanks

Specializes in medical, LTC, pallative.

Any idea on a wage increase in BC and hearsd possible joining RN union rumors

I hate to break to you but UNEs and RNs are paid for their EDUCATION not experience. 3 years in an accredited university program is NOT the equivalent of a 1 yr diploma from a technical college regardless of the fact that we work to the same scope til we graduate. Which is why a UNE and RN students will never be buddied up with an LPN. The differential in education cannot be made up purely by LPN work experience. I think LPNs are paid appropriately for the education they recieve. Dont like it? Go back and bridge to the RN program.

+ Add a Comment