Why don't we have enough nurses in FL?!!

U.S.A. Florida

Published

If everybody knows that this job is stressful perset...If we are working short all the time...If the corporations are not paying enough...(Salary depends in many times of relantionship with the "bosses")...If we can be fired for any reason (Policy is observed or not depending also of your relation with the "Bosses")...if we don't have administrative incentives since administrations change almost yearly and they usually prefer bringing somebody from outside known by them that promote the older employees...If the state during a survey follows a nurse and in order to have a good eval. it takes 20 min to give meds through a GT to one patient, and another 20 min to take care of a patient with a trach., and 15 min to give Bp meds and insulin to a third one (doing every thing "by the book"), and they already know that the nurse has an assaingment of 26-30 patients (so is impossible to finish med pass, if we follow state regulations, in 2 hours) but in their survey conclusions that is not even mentioned...if we work 9-10 hours taking no break...If in the Nursing Homes & Rehab Centers, the acute level of care is higher every day...if the level of knowledge of the DONs is lower every day because in order to get out of the floor they acept less money that the fine prepared nurses................................How in the world do we not have enough nurses in FL??!!!:banghead:

Specializes in Tele.
If everybody knows that this job is stressful perset...If we are working short all the time...If the corporations are not paying enough...(Salary depends in many times of relantionship with the "bosses")...If we can be fired for any reason (Policy is observed or not depending also of your relation with the "Bosses")...if we don't have administrative incentives since administrations change almost yearly and they usually prefer bringing somebody from outside known by them that promote the older employees...If the state during a survey follows a nurse and in order to have a good eval. it takes 20 min to give meds through a GT to one patient, and another 20 min to take care of a patient with a trach., and 15 min to give Bp meds and insulin to a third one (doing every thing "by the book"), and they already know that the nurse has an assaingment of 26-30 patients (so is impossible to finish med pass, if we follow state regulations, in 2 hours) but in their survey conclusions that is not even mentioned...if we work 9-10 hours taking no break...If in the Nursing Homes & Rehab Centers, the acute level of care is higher every day...if the level of knowledge of the DONs is lower every day because in order to get out of the floor they acept less money that the fine prepared nurses................................How in the world do we not have enough nurses in FL??!!!:banghead:

I don't know!!:no:

Specializes in Psych/Substance Abuse & School Clinics.

There are plenty of us LPNs, but most hospitals won't hire us anymore and dr. offices tell me they hire only MAs, so we're mainly confined to LTCs. They don't have a shortage --only the places that think we're not "real nurses" & won't hire us!!! Sorry for the vent but it galls me that I went to school to learn a profession that I'd like to be able to work at instead of being forced to work only one area of.

+ Add a Comment