relo from NYC to FLRegister Today!
- by liz0105 Jun 17Hello all,
I'm a BSN with 2 yrs experience in SICU. Looking into possibly relocating to FL (Tampa/Ft. Myers area). Are there any particular hospitals/systems to look into/avoid?
Also, what is the going per diem rate for RNs? I understand it's a very different market than NY, and I'm just looking to get as much info as possible before I commit!
Thanks in advance for any insight!
- 1,445 Views
- Jun 19 by Havin' A Party!Lee Memorial is the largest health system in the Ft. Myers area. Their different campuses have varying reputations... per acquaintances in the area.
- Jul 30 by piel_canela26Try to stay away from the HCA hospitals. In the Tampa/st pete/ Clearwater areas you can apply to tampa general, baycare system, bayfront medical center or Florida hospitals. Good luck.
- Aug 9 by DemosthenesRNCan you say more about avoiding HCA hospitals please?
- Aug 14 by SouthernPointAvoid the Lee Memorial Health System if at all possible. They own Lee County (Ft. Myers) and they can and will make your life a living hell.
- Aug 16 by phoenix-You know, everyone warned me against HCA without giving an actual reason why aside from some outdated complaints I found online. I ended up going against the consensus. I work for St. Pete Gen now and I have yet to encounter a problem. No one seems that unusually unhappy. Pay and staffing are union-maintained and decent compared to the area. From what I'm seeing, there is good potential for growth, specially considering HCA has a pretty strong foothold in this area.
I work with a lady who also transfered from NY. Fair warning, the pay in FL is significantly less. I transfered from Vegas myself and had to roll with a paycut. I don't have an actually number for you right now but I can probably find my union booklet and give you one when I get home.
St. Pete and Tampa are inundated with hospitals, so you shouldn't have trouble finding work with agencies or as PD/float pool, specially with your experience. Good luck!
- Aug 19 by pugmom79I work within the lee memorial system and I love it. Pay sucks, but that's pretty much par for Florida.
- Aug 21 by ukjenn231in the Tampa area, check out Baycare. If you want per diem, they have a mobile pool with base pay of $35. $5 night shift diff. If you take a contract (guaranteed 60 hrs per 2 weeks on a specified unit) then you can make $5 more an hour. There's also Florida Hospital in Tampa, I don't know anyone that works there but I think the rates are similar for pool.
- Aug 22 by piel_canela26Very little room to grow at the facility where I worked. The nurse turn over was crazy even people who where on orientation quit because the number of patients assigned where unsafe, management did not care etc.