Can anyone tell me about their experience in FGCU?
- 0Dec 24, '09 by on eagles wingsHi,
I am currently completing pre-reqs at MDC. I am going to apply to the ASN program there but am also looking to transfer out of Miami and am interested in the Fort Myers area, hence my question about FGCU. It seems like it has a thorough and complete SON and I would like to know of any experiences with this school.
Mainly am interested in
- School & class atmosphere
- How competitive it is to get in and if there are waiting lists
- How are clinicals and distance(I probably will need to carpool)
- NCLEX passing rates would be nice :-)
- Anything else!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just want to make sure I don't get myself from the frying pan into the fire(or w/e!)!!!!!!!
- 1,271 Visits
- 1Dec 26, '09 by Zeta_Xi_208, RN, BSNI work with many of the faculty and students of FGCU at my hospital. My spouse is a FGCU student. I doubt you can find a better deal on a Nursing school at this time. Their students seem to be very well prepaired for clinicals. The school its self is very impressive for its age. If I had to re-do nursing school I'd go there. Nursing in Florida really stinks. The nurses are great. The pay sucks. Consider working in a state that is not so conservitave when taking the NCLEX.
- 0Dec 26, '09 by on eagles wingsThank you so much for your input. I too thought the SON at FGCU appeared good but wanted to make sure with others. And yea pretty much everything in Fl stinks, lol. But the tuition looked good to me(I'm cheap and dead broke )... I do eventually want to get out of here after I'm an RN. And sorry but what do you mean about conservative when taking the NCLEX?
- 1Dec 26, '09 by Zeta_Xi_208, RN, BSNI'm just ****** that many of the business opportunities nurses enjoy in other states are not allowed here. Example; As a side job, I looked into starting my own business administering Botox, Dermal Fillers, ect... I talked to nurses in other states that make very good money offering these services in salons (After a MD perscribes the injection). In many other states cosmotologists are allowed to offer these services. According to the FL laws "We are aware that Nurses and Cosmotologists are administering these treatments, but this is not the practice in Florida." It seems like Florida really wants to shut the door on Nurse entrepreneurship. Not just in the world of cosmetics.