1. go to a hospital that has a new grad program
2. do not work agency or travel for 1 year
3. do not job hop... the names change but most of what you will be going throough remains the same
4. find a mentor where you work, even if it is a housekeeper, not on your unit preferably. Some hospitals have a big sister program
5. Invest in a new nurse book from Barnes and Noble or Amazon
I like Your Career in Nursing, Vallano but your 1st year as a nurse is good as is The everything nurse book ( I use this in my new grad program
6. Keep a journal or a blog, you will laugh later even though you may be crying now
7. Wear comfortable shoes
8. Ask tons of questions
9. Do not do anything without your preceptor at your side.
10. Take time for yourself and do not work any extra for at least a year. You are still in learning mode no matter how excited you are.
I run a new grad program for a 400 bed hspital so feel free to ask questions or e mail me.