Exam at CoalingaRegister Today!
- by ERDawg Apr 19, '09I have a mostly oral exam at the State Mental Hospital in Coalinga, Ca. in May. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me to successfully pass. I am a middle aged male that graduated a year ago in Dec. from the RN program at COD. I then worked for 9 mos. in the Emergency Dept. of a local hospital to procure some experience. I had to quit because I could not endure the night time hours. Evidently the only nursing shortage that exists in California is for noc nurses. Also is anyone familiar with the time frame from exam to interview to start date? Thank you again for any information. I am getting desperate here.
- May 13, '09 by jujubeQuote from ERDawgHi, I just saw your post today.I have a mostly oral exam at the State Mental Hospital in Coalinga, Ca. in May. I would appreciate any advice anyone can give me to successfully pass. I am a middle aged male that graduated a year ago in Dec. from the RN program at COD. I then worked for 9 mos. in the Emergency Dept. of a local hospital to procure some experience. I had to quit because I could not endure the night time hours. Evidently the only nursing shortage that exists in California is for noc nurses. Also is anyone familiar with the time frame from exam to interview to start date? Thank you again for any information. I am getting desperate here.
Here's my personal timeline from the day I mailed the paper application to the day I will actually begin work at Coalinga:
Mailed paper application: March 13
Interview date: April 14
Notified (by phone call) about hire: May 8
Start date: June 1
Overall, it took about 3 months from beginning of the application process to actual start date.This is just my particular example. Of course, this timeline will vary with everyone. In my case, they could not get a hold of my job references so I had to give them new ones (make sure yout job references call them back) and I had to resubmit my fingerprints (my fingerprints did not go through to the FBI the first time).
I don't know what shift or building I will be assigned to over there but I bet they will assign me to NOC shift.
It has taken me 7 months to finally nab a job. I'm from the Bay Area. It's bad out here. If you peek in the California forum, you'll see many posts from despairing new nurse grads still jobless after a year.
I did get 'conditionally hired' by Atascadero a few months ago but I failed their Physical Ability Test.
I am not complaining about this job. I am very grateful. I am broke and burned out from all the worrying from lack of job. I was almost afraid I would never work as a nurse again. If any of you hate your current job, I would advise you to keep it because the pickings out there are mighty slim and those glory days of being able to get a job straight out of school, of being able to pick and choose where you want to work are pretty much over for now.
Best of luck, I wish you the best. Hang in there.
- May 13, '09 by Pepsi_GirlThanks for the information Jujube, I to am a new grad looking for work. I sent my app. of to Coalinga around the 5th of May hopefully I hear something soon. Any additional info. on the process would be helpful.
- May 29, '09 by tirzo13At Napa you got a good shot at days.
Metro in LA, and Atascadero both are hiring me for nights. I don't care so much as i'm going back to school.
If i'm in school bad shifts don't bother me, its a tradeoff.
If i was not in school, i would hate that.
Once you start you can petition for a day job. Keep looking on the job board at your facility.
Sometimes good day jobs go without any bids.
course some are in very bad units.
My exp. with hiring.
Never applied at Coalinga.
Napa process was quicker less then 3 months.
Atascadero little longer.
Metro in LA took the longest, its where i want to work due to location.
Napa was pretty easy to work at.
- Jun 11, '09 by healinghands209In case you haven't heard already many of the State psych hospitals are now on a hiring freeze as a result of the budget crisis. My hiring interview at Napa was cancelled a few days before my appointment date and a letter was sent out to all applicants that a freeze is currently in effect. Coalinga is also on a freeze but they continue to accept applications for future positions. State prisons seem to be exept from this - I just got a call from Folsom today for an interview-YAY!
- Sep 6, '09 by Alpha1LeadWas that timeline you posted similar to that for Atascadero?
- Jan 9, '11 by speedytopspinhey jujube, did you get an actual interview on April 14 or was that an oral interview exam?
- Oct 10, '11 by hgarza1erdawg, did you get hired at coalinga? how was the interview?