Correctional Interview - Page 2Register Today!
- Jun 5, '08 by NotmywilMSNBC has a series called LOCKUP and Folsom prison is featured on one of those. If you visit their website, you can view the video online! There are many other prisons featured there as well. Good luck and congratulations! Hope you'll keep up posted. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540...27992#14027992
- Jun 6, '08 by psychonurseThere is a wonderful book called "Games Inmate Play" not sure of the author but it is a MUST for anyone that starts in corrections not just nurses. I am sure that you can go to barnes and noble or amazon and pick it up. Also most prisons in Oregon have copies of this book somewhere in the facility that you can borrow from. I have read it several times and it is something that we need to remember. Just remember your boundaries with these inmates and you will be fine.
- Jun 7, '08 by psychonurseActually the name of the book is "Games Criminals Play" and it is on Amazon and it is a book most people in corrections should read. It will give you a basic knowledge of the games that inmates will play with you and they are good at it. I read it every once in a while to keep up. It is a great investment in your career.
- Jun 10, '08 by cooked123YAY!!!! Congratulations Jaymee...I'm so glad you let us all know the outcome.
- Jun 10, '08 by cooked123Sonya, Thank you for the book recommendation! I am considering corrections...Folsom. I will be moving home to CA after 30 years in Ohio, so thought I might go with a Travel company first...do you think this is a good idea or is it favorable to simply aply to the facilities? Do they have relo packages? Anyone know, or know who to ask?
Thank you ALL; this has be a tremendous, sharing site. I am learning all the time, and wil continue to do so.
- Jul 25, '08 by PHNJaymeeHi everyone,
Just wanted to check in and let you know how my first couple weeks have gone. Which over all for the most part, has been good. The RN's I've paired up with have all been great.
It's deffn. been a big change, but I'm taking it all in well. I was in the Navy before and a lot of it reminds me of the military. Lots of testosterone between the inmates and the CO's, but I do well in that environment.
Just been rotating through the different units, and going to trainings. Went through a PSU (assuming that's a universal term- pysch area) unit today and had a great day. Did a bunch of blood draws this AM, and helped with the nurse line (a clinic where inmates come through with minor problems)- although the last 2 lines a guy who went out to a hospital code 3 which is serious...
No probs with the inmates personally yet. I don't go out of my way to interact with them, but say hello, and respond when they do. I have been talking to them like normal patients for the most part, and they have responded well to me so far.
Anyways.... just a little update! Hope all is well with correctional nursing elsewhere! This site helped me out a lot.
I also read the book "Games Criminals Play" which helped tremendously for preperation on the inmates mindsets. I highly recommend it!
- Jul 25, '08 by PHNJaymeeAnd again thanks so much for all your advice (don't know why, but I didn't see the 2nd page of postings before). I did check out the lockdown video.... thankyou! I haven't been able to see the dorm areas, and more like housing units yet. Crazy stuff!
- Jun 22, '10 by AA0622hi phnjaymee, i am not sure if you are still checking your thread… i hope you do… just wanted to see how things are going for you at folsom state prison after 2 years. are you still working there? how was your experience? i just got a job offer (rn) there as a new grad kind of ... i worked at snf for almost a year and decided to move on to correctional nursing. any advice would be appreciated! thanks!