Ready to Apply CT Community Colleges- Nursing Program 2012 - page 11
by CJ223 72,989 Views | 774 Comments
ooops... the other one had 2011 instead of 2012... let's try this again: Just thought I would start a new thread for the current application cycle. Questions... stats... rumors... etc! My question is... for those applying... Read More
- 0Apr 2, '12 by allforthekiddsI'm taking micro and it is getting a little more intense than I would like. I have a lab "quiz" Thursday on 5 labs we have done. Does your teacher put essay questions on your exams? Our last exam she decided to use some odd ball questions for our essay portion and needless to say, next class we were missing a few people. I'm so ready for this class to be over!! On a side note, we dissected a cat in A&P 2, it was cool and sad all at the same time.
- 0Apr 3, '12 by yrienayI have a dilemma. I just found out Im expecting a baby so if I get into the program Ill be like six months when it starts. Does Capital let people start in the Spring like defer them or something. I heard they do that when they have to take micro so they won't have to do nursing and micro at the same time. Do you think Ill be able to do that?
- 0Apr 3, '12 by mssjezI'm taking micro right now at CCC and I love it! The teacher is awesome! We just had an exam a couple weeks ago on DNA synthesis, enzymes, prions, etc. Now were getting into viruses! The teacher is great and relates what were learning to the health field since most of us have applied to one of the nursing schools. We don't have lab quizzes. We do have a lab practical at the end of the semester which includes aseptic technique and what reagents do what (gram stains), and what results of tests mean. We also have an unknown organism that we have to run tests on, figure out what it is, and write a report.
@allforthekids - you dissected a cat!! I'm so jealous, all we've done are sheep hearts this semester. I liked dissecting the fetal pig in bio, but haven't done anything nearly as interesting in my A&P classes. I'm in A&P II right now and last lab, all we did was test urine... needless to say smelling urine for two hours gave me a headache
@yrienay - Capital doesn't start in the spring, but I would meet with the counselor there and discuss your situation. He'd be able to give you the best advice and let you know what accommodations they can make. Good luck!
- 0Apr 3, '12 by saramisu@yrienay - Congratulations! As far as I last knew, I thought they staggered just a *few* people for the spring. When I was in A&P II last year, people went to the computer lab around this time to check their status, and one of my lab partners told me he got into Gateway (not waitlisted) for Spring '12. Would you be willing to commute to another school besides CCC? I think they are a lot more helpful once you're in, so I'm sure they could do something to accommodate you.My micro class is way more intense than I thought it would be. I'm doing well, but we have 4 lab quizzes, 2 practicals, 6 exams and 2 case studies. It's a good thing I'm really into the material though. I like it alot. I loved dissecting in AP I and II. The cat was hard during the first semester, but then it's a breeze, and soooo neat. Absolutely nothing bothers me at this point.I can't wait for the summer. If i get in to the program, I think I'm going to leave my position a month earlier than I had planned (July) so I can spend time with my husband, and get myself settled into part-time work. I would still give them 2 months notice, so I don't feel too too bad about it, but I will miss my job. BUT, on the same token, nursing has been a long time dream of mine, and I'm excited to start another chapter, take a risk, and go for it!
- 0Apr 3, '12 by nef203Quote from yrienayI am not sure how accomidating they will be, but dont get discouraged. I know numerous people who have done gwcc program while expecting. good luckThanks guys. I think that if I do get in then Im going to try to talk with a guidance counselor to discuss my options. Hopefully it all works out because Im dying to finish school already.
- 0Apr 3, '12 by nursing4811Does anyone know how the 2nd choice school works. I applied to gateway but there are only 45 seats and capital was my 2nd and they have 162 seats I am so mad at myself for applying to gateway as my number one. If I dont get in I am going to be sooo mad!! Also, I hope working at Yale helps... I wonder why they ask you where you work unless it is to help me!! GOOD LUCK EVERYONE! Also, I work with a guy who was number 17 on the waitlist and got in so dont give up everyone it can happen they called him at 11am the day of classes and said be here by 2!
- 0Apr 3, '12 by LivetolearnHi everyone, this is my first time posting here. I have applied to the program as well, and can't wait to hear if I got in. I would like to wish everyone good luck! I have applied to TRCC & CCC 2nd. The two things I'm worried about most is taking micro while in the program and figuring out how to make enough money to get through school when I leave my full time job. I was wondering if anyone here knows any more detail about TRCC schedule besides the lecture class on Monday's? Im trying to figure out if I should try to keep my job now or find something part time. Thanks for any insight any can provide.
- 0Apr 3, '12 by eerrmmI'm in Micro right now as well and I have to say that it actually isn't as bad as I expected it be. Compared to A&P I & II - it's a breeze. Although I have to admit that my Gen Bio instructor taught with an intense focus on aspects of Microbiology, so a lot of Micro is review with a couple of extra details (thank you Gen Bio instructor!). I have heard that it's generally considered a tough course to do while in the nursing program.. especially if you're also working. I'm not sure if Micro is offered during the summer, but if it is, you may want to consider taking it then.