Otero Junior College - Page 3Register Today!
- Jun 7, '12 by blakeseTake clinical calc at OJC. There is a test first year and you have to score 100%. It's better if it's fresh. I had a B average in all my pre-reqs. Took nutrition online and path here where I live. ( commuted an hour for OJC) I actually didn't apply till late in July cause I was trying to get into a school closer to home. I got a call about 10 days before classes started but I know most heard within a few weeks. Take the humanities whenever you can, psych, soc, really help out. They are a great group down there. I have to head out to work, but if you have any other questions I will be happy to answer. Good luck to you! You will love and hate it. Whole different ball game. OH! Make sure you try the chicken butts at the Hogs Breath Saloon!
- Jun 7, '12 by dlady777Hi there! I attended Otero Jr. College and will be returning to the nursing program again this fall. Please send me an email and I will give you my phone number so I can answer all of your questions. Someone in my car pool just got accepted in and went thru the new requirements. My email address is email@example.com.
- Jun 8, '12 by jillane2011Blakese,
Now I really want to attend OJC! Thank you for taking the time to give me all this information & thoroughly answering all my questions! Seems no one likes to share information here in OR! So far I turned in my transcripts, took the accuplacer tests and I'm flying down this saturday to attend their information session this Monday! I will have plenty of questions for them as far as how many people do they accept, and if they start in the Fall...their point system...etc. Thank you for the heads up on Clinical Calc. I'm afraid I won't be considered since I don't have that and Pathophysiology completed. I will post back after the information session & after I try those chicken butts! I always loved coming to CO since they have Rudy's BBQ but I might have a new love:bowingpur
- Jun 8, '12 by jillane2011Goodevening dlady777,
I received your PM and responded! Have you already been accepted to the NP this fall? If so, Congratulations!! I was confused because there's 4 applications deadlines. I wanted to apply for the last app. deadline July 2, but I feel if they already have enough people accepted for the cohort then what will they do with the rest of us? I'll be at the info session this Monday, and I'll go exploring around the campus & hopefully check out the labs! I've been blowing up Mrs. Lease phone for the past month so it'll be nice to actually talk face to face.
- Jun 17, '12 by jillane2011I will never forget my visit to La Junta especially to Hogs Breath Saloon! Everything was pretty much deep fried & the Chicken Butts that you suggested + the mountain oysters put me into a deep food coma. It was ahhhmazzing! I was surprised how small of a town it was, since I went to watch a movie (there were only two movies playing and two showtimes!) I feel if I moved out to La Junta for nursing school, it'll be good to be in a small town & be away from any distractions! As far as the program, I met with Lavona & she said that at this time the full time (40 students) & part time (30) slots are filled. Which is a bummer, however I will still apply and hope that someone decides not to go and i'm at the top of the list...hopefully! I'm happy u got a call 10 days before! I hope if I do get in, i'm notified sooner because I'm not sure if I can drop everything here & pick up and move a week before the program starts!
Thank You again!
- Jun 17, '12 by dlady777Hmmm! That's interesting! So they say the slots r full? They have always taken in whomever applied. Like when my class started last year, we started with 42. So I'm surprised they didn't take you. Did u score high enough on the placement test to get in, or did u not just apply? I would apply anyway, cause things come up, and people do drop out before it starts.(military, death, etc. Never not apply just because they say it's full. If you really want to go, apply anyway, and see what happens. That way you did all that you could. I learned to just do things to cover myself,, cause usually it worked out in my favor. Yes, small enough town from plenty of distractions. Maybe that's why that is one of the reasons why they have a good pass rate, lol. Good luck and let me know what you do. Check in anytime if u have questions!
- Jun 18, '12 by jillane2011Goodevening dlady777,
It was definitely heart breaking hearing that their slots are full because I went there with high hopes! It's frustrating because I have to constantly call Becki Lease, Kim Juul, and Reina (in charge of transcripts) to make sure they received all my information. They said they would send it to Becki but they'd forget Either way I enjoyed my visit there, the Safeway in La Junta is awesome lol! I'm afraid my app isn't competitive enough to be considered but here's what i'm applying with:
Accuplacer Scores: reading 107 / math 101
mth103 haven't taken it
patho haven't taken it
I will take your advice and still apply for this July 2nd deadline. The fact that OJC is partnered with USCC ? so you can start on your bachelors degree while in your second sem. of the nursing program is really appealing! I've never seen those live streaming cameras where you can sit at OJC & attend a lecture in the USCC classroom! Goodluck this fall and I hope I can join you or be right behind!
- Jun 18, '12 by dlady777Yeah, same problem seems to be continuing. You send in something in hopes they reviewed and submitted it, but unfortunately you have to be on top of things with them. That means when you turn in transcripts, health certificates, whatever, you always, always call to see if they received it and turned it in. They get a lot of paperwork just like yours, and unfortunately, they don't have the help needed to take care of things. When I got an email, asking for first and second year nursing students to volunteer to assist with state certification check offs for CNA's I knew it was a red flag. Anyway, your grades are great, I would apply before the deadline regardless, so and keep making the calls to see if someone is not coming back. They always tell us to let them know A.S.A.P if we do not plan to attend. Work on taking your math and path as soon as u can. This will be one less class to take, and besides, you need to know the math like the back of your hand. Good luck to you! Hope to see you!
- Jul 14, '12 by jillane2011Good evening dlady777! Today I received my acceptance letter from OJC for the full time program this fall! Yeeehaay! I feel like I just got swept up by a tornado because everything is happening so fast. I have until next week Friday to accept or decline. My first choice school here in Oregon still hasn't called me back since I'm waitlisted at #2. I will just have to wait, but if not... I will do what I have to do and make the move to La Junta! What are your classes? It looks like I'd start off with 13 credits math103, nur109, and nur112. Hopefully we'll have a class together!
- Jul 14, '12 by dlady777Congratulations! One letter is better than none. If your wait listed at number 2, then it sounds like, you probably will be getting in with that one too. I am not in the full time program, and have chosen the non-traditional part-time. We won't be taking any classes together since I will only be taking NUR 109, for the fall semester. I already have math103, and pathophysiology. If your in the full time program, your NUR 109 class will be taken on a different day from mine.
Ours is TUES/THUR nights, and clinicals every other weekend.
Sounds like you got a heck of a load with 13 credits. Good luck, and let me know where u end up.