Applying to UC - Denver for Spring 2014 UCAN ProgramRegister Today!
- by Colorado Hopeful Apr 18Hello Everyone,
I started this thread for everyone applying to the University of Colorado Denver University of Colorado Accelerated Nursing program starting in January 2014. This will be my third time applying, so I'm hoping the third time is the charm! The application is due June 15th. I also had interviews for the last two cycles and saw that the interview is tentatively scheduled for July 26, 2013. Is anyone else applying this cycle? I look forward to sharing the ups and downs of the admission cycle this time around!
- Apr 19 by sk8tergurl164Hello!
I am also applying for UCAN Spring 2014. I am working on my essay right now and having some difficulties putting together something that I am satisfied with. Any tips? You got to the interview so that is a good sign.
- Apr 24 by Jenbun02I just turned in my application a few days ago. I don't have any high expectations because I don't have a very high gpa. But I do feel pretty good about my essay. Now it's just time to wait until July 15 th to see if I get an interview.
- Apr 25 by Colorado Hopefulsk8tergurl164, One person who got in (lucky ) told me he focused on how he would be excellent nurse in his essay. He described how his current position as an EMT prepared him, and how his personality characteristics would make him a good fit with nursing. I am planning on rewriting my essay for the next application cycle to focus more on myself and less on nursing in general. Jenbun02, most people who have told me their grade point averages who were accepted actually had much lower GPAs than I do (3.4-3.6), so I think the admissions people definitely heavily consider the essay and interview, so you stand a good chance at getting in!
- Apr 30 by IWillGetAcceptedHello. I am also applying for this program. I haven't completed my application but will be finishing my essay soon. I really hope to get in! I am applying to Regis too. Does anyone know CU's tuition vs Regis Tuition? I am meeting with two graduates of the CU accelerated program next week, I will be sure to post any helpful information.
- May 14 by elliot237The people on here make the competition seem incredibly tough. I have a 3.65 undergrad GPA (not in colorado)with a few community college classes taken in high school that have a GPA of 3.2ish. I have been working in research for 5 years, have publications, volunteered in hospitals and overseas and have a degree in Microbiology. It seems unfair that all they look at are a GPA, classes taken and Essay. I'm missing an anatomy course which I am trying to take this fall. I even work on campus.
Even with all that I feel inferior now reading a lot of this stuff. It almost sounds like they want people with stats better than most medical schools.
I did an okay job of sneaking my accomplishments into my essay, which I think may help.
- May 17 by Colorado HopefulIWillGetAccepted, I think that Regis has much higher tuition than CU. From what I could find on their websites: Regis comes in at $96,000 ($750 per credit hour x 128 hours) compared to CU in state at $22,440 ($340 per credit hour x 66 hours). After the tuition you would have to add all the additional fees. To me elliot237 you sound very accomplished! I work at an IT company now, but my husband thinks part of the reason I was turned down twice is that my first Bachelors Degree was in History. Maybe the Microbiology undergrad would make you more competitive? I certainly think the publications would!
- May 18 by WendileeYes the stats do seem higher than medical school? Is this really the case?
- Jun 2 by IWillGetAcceptedIt does seem getting into medical school may be easier. Today I am feeling really worried about my application. My BA is in political science. Does anyone know of many applicants who were accepted with an undergrad degree in a totally different field? Thank you Colorado Hopeful for the cost breakdown of both Regis and CU. Regis is so expensive! I actually looked at Metro's accelerated nursing program today. None of my science prerequisites would be accepted because I took them online. Does anyone know if Regis accepts online courses? A few more weeks and we should hear back about interviews!