Stamina, fitness & CRNA stress--how do you manage?
- 0Dec 31, '03 by Toby's mumWhat steps do you take to remain healthy and fit so you can adequately handle the stress of the CRNA responsibilities and maintain the stamina that's required?
- 7,482 Visits
- 0Jan 1, '04 by gotosleepOriginally posted by athomas91
for those full into their program - i generally work out 30min - 1hr every day - i was planning on doing that as soon as i got home then digging into dinner and studies - am i crazy for thinking i will be able to continue ??
check back in when your clinicals start. I've gained a bunch of weight and my exercise program is essentially non-existent. Seriously, there are people who do keep physically fit during anesthesia school, I'm just not one of them.
- 1Jan 1, '04 by cnmtocrnaYes you absolutely can stay in shape, and you will be better for it. I went to midwifery school 13 years ago and watched the other 15 students gain weight. I would swim at the lunch hour for 1/2 hour, then eat my lunch during class. I felt so much more relaxed and happy, I can't imagine how it would have felt without. I have never stopped exercising regularly, only a cold or a minor surgery has set me back a week or maybe two. My goal is to get at LEAST 3 days of exercise in, preferably 4 or 5, but if you only do 3 days in anesthesia school, you won't lose your level of fitness. I read while on my elliptical trainer. Having home equipment helps tremendously. I'm 35 and still weigh what I did when I was 13 years old. DON"T STOP!!
- 0i have an entire gym at home that we have built over the past year in anticipation for no money for a gym membership while i am in school - so it is all in my basement (convenient!!!)
i think a 1/2 hr per day will do me fine.....thanks for the input - i don't know how people gain weight in school - all the running around, stress and non-existant down time to eat - you think everyone would shrink up.....
- 0Jan 1, '04 by London88You can still stay in shape but you have to allow yourself some flexibility. I use to work out 4-5 x's a week for 1hr. Now I am happy to fit in 3 40 min sessions a week, and sometimes if school only allows me two sessions so be it. Do not try to be superman or woman or you will burn out real fast. I was very burnt out by the end of last semester, but I had a chance to recover over the holiday and I am looking forward to round two.