Stamina, fitness & CRNA stress--how do you manage?Register Today!
- by Toby's mum Dec 31, '03What steps do you take to remain healthy and fit so you can adequately handle the stress of the CRNA responsibilities and maintain the stamina that's required?
- 6,782 Views
- Dec 31, '03 by WntrMute2Vitamin C, caffine and catecholamines.
- for those full into their program - i generally work out 30min - 1hr every day - i was planning on doing that as soon as i got home then digging into dinner and studies - am i crazy for thinking i will be able to continue ??
- Jan 1, '04 by gotosleepOriginally posted by athomas91
for those full into their program - i generally work out 30min - 1hr every day - i was planning on doing that as soon as i got home then digging into dinner and studies - am i crazy for thinking i will be able to continue ??
check back in when your clinicals start. I've gained a bunch of weight and my exercise program is essentially non-existent. Seriously, there are people who do keep physically fit during anesthesia school, I'm just not one of them.
- Jan 1, '04 by WntrMute2You can probably workout regularly if you give up the dinner part. Most of my dinners were eaten hunched over Jaffee.
- Jan 1, '04 by cnmtocrnaYes you absolutely can stay in shape, and you will be better for it. I went to midwifery school 13 years ago and watched the other 15 students gain weight. I would swim at the lunch hour for 1/2 hour, then eat my lunch during class. I felt so much more relaxed and happy, I can't imagine how it would have felt without. I have never stopped exercising regularly, only a cold or a minor surgery has set me back a week or maybe two. My goal is to get at LEAST 3 days of exercise in, preferably 4 or 5, but if you only do 3 days in anesthesia school, you won't lose your level of fitness. I read while on my elliptical trainer. Having home equipment helps tremendously. I'm 35 and still weigh what I did when I was 13 years old. DON"T STOP!!
- i have an entire gym at home that we have built over the past year in anticipation for no money for a gym membership while i am in school - so it is all in my basement (convenient!!!)
i think a 1/2 hr per day will do me fine.....thanks for the input - i don't know how people gain weight in school - all the running around, stress and non-existant down time to eat - you think everyone would shrink up.....
- oh, by the way - my husband got cookbooks for christmas - so dinner won't be my problem...... it is now his.,.,....
- Jan 1, '04 by London88You can still stay in shape but you have to allow yourself some flexibility. I use to work out 4-5 x's a week for 1hr. Now I am happy to fit in 3 40 min sessions a week, and sometimes if school only allows me two sessions so be it. Do not try to be superman or woman or you will burn out real fast. I was very burnt out by the end of last semester, but I had a chance to recover over the holiday and I am looking forward to round two.
- Jan 2, '04 by athomas91london88 -- school will definately come first..... even now - if there is no time - there is just no time....i don't sweat it....
3 days left...... the anxiety is killing me....