PTT monitoringRegister Today!
- by username33 Jun 11, '11The scenario '' Pt is on heparin therapy for DVT treatment. Last PTT 102 ''
Question: Is this PTT a normal therapeutic range? The literature provides different answers. I am confused. Can you tell me what the range should be.
According to my book aPTT = 20-39 Therapeutic range 1.5 - 2.5 normal.
- 1,694 Views
- Jun 11, '11 by AdeniumOur hospital has a heparin protocol - docs can order a drip by protocol where we can adjust based on PTTs or order without protocol in which we give them the results and they order a new dosage.
In any case the pt should have a baseline PTT for comparison. By our protocol we stop the drip for an hour for a PTT over 100, then restart at a specified lower dose and recheck PTT 6 hours later.
- Jun 11, '11 by username33Thank you. It was helpful information to know.
- Jun 13, '11 by ghillbertProtocols online to google: heparin drip DVT protocol. eg. http://www.methodistmd.org/pdf/mec/2...06%20QM%20.pdf
102 is high at my place of work and heparin would be turned off for an hour.
- Jul 15, '11 by RNChristyAt my facility that I used to work at, the protocol for therapeutic was 70-90. Some doctors wrote their own parameters. Every facility may be different, so check your facility for their protocol and P&P. 102 would definitely be high and we did also stop the infusion for one hour also. Good luck!