Sac state (CSUS) nursing spring 2013 - Page 3Register Today!
- Nov 9, '12 by foolieI applied as well, this school is my first choice for norcal! I applied with 61 pts, 3 additional points pending my economic background. Made a terrible mistake and missed my 2nd test date to retake the TEAS before apps were due so I'm hoping and praying that my score should be enough. Additionally is anyone moving to the area?? Looking to rent a place... pending my acceptance!
- Nov 9, '12 by dreambig2015Something little about me: I am 23 years old from North Sacramento. Ever since I was a little kid I knew I wanted to work in a hospital. Growing up I always dreamed about becoming a doctor, preferably a pediatrician. My first semester in college I was going for biological sciences/pre-med. After a few months I realized that it wasn't for me. I don't want to spend 10 years in school before I can actually help people! I volunteered at Mercy General Hospital for about 2 years. Those 2 years were a wonderful experience and that is when I decided that I wanted to be a nurse. I loved every minute of my volunteering experience. Every time I made a patient smile I knew that I had accomplished a wonderful thing. That feeling when you make someone's day is just one of the best feelings in the world and nothing can replace that. I love children, so my ultimate goal is to get my Masters degree and work as a Pediatric Nurse Practitioner.
I hope to see all of you in January! 2 more week until we find out ...class of 2015!!!
- Nov 10, '12 by crebsThat's awesome dreambig! It's a good thing we have thanksgiving dinner to look forward to as well so that we're not just focused on our acceptance! I'm super excited. I've been looking at stethoscope colors. lol We're actually the class of Fall 2014! Whoopee!
- Nov 11, '12 by crebsOK so I obviously have no life and am always on the forums trying to get information to prepare for Spring. One thing we'll need to have is health insurance. I just got a policy through health net which is like the cheapest individual health plan I was able to find. It's only $84/month. It is a high deductible plan and it's really only for people that are healthy with no major health issues. I can't post a website address on here but if you google real care insurance they can set you up with a policy, or you can go to the Healthnet website but I think if you have an insurance broker you have an extra advocate. Also, I'm looking at January CPR classes so that the cert will be good all the way through the program.
- Nov 12, '12 by kaiamcGood luck everyone,
I made the Fall 2012 class and wanted to let you guys know the program is totally do-able. Some weeks are harder than others but most importantly, prepare for a scramble of activity after acceptance and a start up expense of $2,000 dollars and up to $3,000 if you go all out. Be aware that you don't get financial aid to help until the start of the semester.
Books were appx $500 for e-books (trust me you will need the e-books so don't go hunting down bargains on amazon ect, some from out program did this only to regret it later, the N15 course and N16 course both have online courses that are built into this e-bundle) and $900 if you want hardcopies with the e-books, plus $150 for mandatory NCLEX prep books from ATI (again dont bother bargain hunting as this cost also includes online tests). You'll need a stethoscope $70-120 if you buy a Littman, a clipboard for clinical, and disposable penlights (several as batteries run out on these) as well as the uniforms which are appx $300 for two sets of scrubs (must be purchased from the Dove supplier, great quality scrubs though). You'll want comfortable, high-quality white close toed shoes ($50-150), you will be paying for background checks ($100 ) and titers/immunizations/tb test if you are not insured (if you are a current sac state student you can get them for free at The Well). $15 is the cost of the badges for clinical (the only thing you actually HAVE to purchase through the CNSA). You will be drug tested but that cost is built into the background check. You will also need health insurance as a former poster stated. That cost will depend on your personal circumstances mine is $600 per month out of pocket for an HMO but an emergency care high deductible plan might be found for minimal cost IDK.
Just giving you guys a heads up, the cost was a major burden for me as well as a surprise and I wish I would have known ahead of time. Again there might be some other minimal costs that I may have forgotten but this is all the major stuff. Good luck! You will all probably get in see you next semester!
- Nov 12, '12 by dreambig2015Don't worry Crebs you are not the only one invading these forums! I do the same and it's great to know that I am not alone I don't have health insurance yet so thank you for sharing the info, it'll come in handy!
Thank you Kaiamc for sharing as well! Congrats on getting accepted
- Nov 12, '12 by inspaceThanks for taking the time to inform all of us newbies. Much appreciated Kaiamc! Once accepted how long will we have to complete CPR/background check? Are you taking any co-reqs or other non-nursing classes this semester? Wondering if you have the minimum work load or more?
- Nov 12, '12 by crebsThanks for the info! Wow, 600/month! Insurance prices can be so crazy! I heard some students sell their scrubs to new students. I'm trying to lose weight now so I don't get fatter wearing those comfy scrubs. We only wear them on clinical days right? Man this is looking expensive. I'm a super duper bargain hunter. Those uniforms are way too expensive considering how much scrubs cost other places. Embroidery is not expensive to get done at a tayloring shop. I'm going to investigate the possibilities.
- Nov 12, '12 by cduboisI should by in the Spring 2013 class with the rest of you. My name is Christian. I look forward to meeting all of you. Kaiamc, if you would not mind answering a question, how many days of clinical were scheduled for the weekends? I ask because I work in a lab on the weekends and would like to keep the job if possible.`
- Nov 12, '12 by crebsHey everybody, I created a facebook group if anybody wants to join. I can't post the web address on here but if you search CSU Sacramento Nursing Fall 2014 you should be able to find it. If you're on facebook and delete everything in the address bar that comes after ".com" and type in groups/csuF14 you'll be at the site.