American CNA wanting to work in Edmonton, AB Canada

  1. I am an American and taking my CNA (certified nursing assistant) class now. I also am very close to graduating with my Associates in Science Degree. So my question is this...

    I am wanting to work in Alberta, Canada as a HCA, or a NA, or whatever the equivalent to an American CNA is, and I am needing some advice. I have no idea where to start so a little guidance would be greatly appreciated. I am wondering if

    A) If things would be easier with immigration/work permits after I finish my CNA course work or if I could maybe go ahead and try to get things lined out so that I could be ready to possibly accept a job by the time that I finish, which will be the end of March.

    B) Where or who do I even contact to figure out what forms and whatnot that I need to fill out, and if I am even eligible for a open work permit, if I need to be sponsored by a certain facility, or what to do? And are there any travel agencies maybe that work with Americans wanting to work in Canada, and would that be a better route to take? If so, can anyone recommend a good one?
  2. Visit NyxieNicole profile page

    About NyxieNicole

    Joined: Feb '14; Posts: 3


  3. by   Silverdragon102

    I seriously doubt you will get a work permit for care assistant. Also be aware nursing is a minimum of BSN for Canada and would be easier for using the NAFTA agreement which as a US citizen is an option. Also have a read of the Canadian forum to see that AB is having some issues re nurses having difficulty finding work

    Moved to the Immigration forum
  4. by   NotReady4PrimeTime
    Although the new "workforce transformation" model being introduced in Alberta relies heavily on health care aides, there are several labour board complaints over the concept and its roll-out that are under way at the moment. The province may have to reconsider this model or scrap it altogether.

    As Silverdragon102 has said, nursing assistants/health care aides/personal support workers are not on the list of jobs eligible for foreign worker or TN (NAFTA) visas. Neither are registered nurses or LPNs any more. For these the employer has to prove (sort of) that they're unable to fill the position with a Canadian worker and in health care unless you're HIGHLY specialized, with a zillion initials after your name, that's not even remotely possible.

    Travel agency health care doesn't really exist in Canada the way it does in the US. For one thing, their primary clientele is nurses, and in Canada where registration fees are typically well in excess of $500 a year, few nurses are interested in holding multiple registrations. For another, most health care jobs are unionized and the various collective agreements contain protection for their members, meaning that their replacement by agency workers has to be justified to the union - not as easy as it sounds.

    There are a lot of roadblocks in the way of your plans. What is attracting you to Edmonton? Knowing that help in terms of providing advice.
  5. by   NyxieNicole
    Well I have many good friends there and I am wanting to move there permanently. I was wanting to work for a spell and after finding employment, apply to a school and go for my actual nursing degree.
  6. by   NotReady4PrimeTime
    That's a good reason for wanting to move closer, but I don't think the route you've plotted out above will make it happen.
  7. by   NyxieNicole
    Well I would love some advice if you have any to give!
  8. by   Silverdragon102
    I would say best bet would be to get your BSN completed as soon as you can and then look for a job. Once you have job offer you can look at moving with NAFTA. For PR suggest checking the different routes on the CIC website. Either way to work as a nurse you will need your BSN