Vanderbilt Grad Entry 2012 Application
- 1Jul 19, '11 by blackbird singingHello! I have seen forums for the previous years' application cycles, but not for the class starting fall 2012.
Sooo... how's it going for everyone? I take the GRE on Friday (gah!) so of course I'm trying to avoid studying for that!
- 89,048 Views
- 0Jul 24, '11 by bmichellejoynerHey there! Happy to see that there are other people already preparing for the application process this winter.
I took my GRE in the spring but didn't study at all; not smart! I only got an 1110 and my verbal score really carried me, so I'm planning to start studying the math and retake it in September.
I'm originally from the Nashville but I'm currently living out in Oregon and working for a wilderness therapy company while I finish up my prereqs for nursing programs. I've been looking at ABSN and MSN programs, but since I know that ultimately I want the masters, I think I'm leaning more in that direction as this process drags on. We'll see where I end up. What other programs are you all applying to?
Best of luck! Looking forward to hearing from you as we get further in.
- 0Jul 24, '11 by blackbird singingNot bad that you didn't study and got 1110!!
I'm applying to Marquette, Ohio State and Seattle University. Since I'm interested in the nurse-midwifery grad entry level, that helped to narrow it down significantly, since there are only 20 or so schools that offer it. I'm living in Cincinnati right now, working as a PCA on a med/surg floor (well, it's my 2nd week this week, so I'm still training).
Good luck with everything, and hopefully we'll chat again as the time moves on!
- 0Jul 25, '11 by bmichellejoynerEmily, how did your GRE go? Hopefully super-well!
Seattle U, very nice. I keep going back and forth about whether or not to apply to UW's ABSN program. Seems like a long shot, but I love Seattle SO much. It's a great city! Where are you living? Your choices seem about as spread out as mine, ha. I'm planning to apply to a couple of ABSN programs as well as a couple of direct entry MSN programs. I applied to Duke this cycle but wasn't accepted; I'm also thinking of ETSU and U Memphis (I'm technically still a resident of TN, even though I'm living out in Oregon these days), Vanderbilt, and Case Western. UW is a toss-up, and so is Southern Maine. I can't decide about either, but at this point I think it probably makes sense to cast a reaaaaally wide net and hope for the best. It's just so freakin' competitive!
Good luck with everything. I have a feeling that the next few months are going to fly by!
- 0Aug 13, '11 by AnaLongCan I join the convo?
I am also applying to Vandy. I need advice. I have already taken it twice. I got a 1000 and 4.0 writing score the first time and a 1010 and 4.0 writing score the second time. Should I take it again because the requirement is a 4.5? I don't think I am very competitive. I only have a 3.6 gpa but this semester I got a 4.0 in prereqs. Should I even try?
- 0Aug 13, '11 by blackbird singingHi Ana!
Your "only 3.6" is not bad! In fact, I'm pretty sure it's above average since if I'm remembering correctly, the average is 3.4/3.5. Also, you got a 4.0 on your prereqs which i think they place more emphasis on, so I think you are golden in the GPA field.
As far as the GRE, I don't know if they are strict about the 4.5 requirement. I have been trying to find averages for the GRE from previous years, but I have been having trouble... You could always email them to ask! I do think you are competitive in the GPA field, and if you have good recommendations and statements, I think you will be fine. But, I don't know if they are strict about it... who knows! haha
What specialty are you interested in?
- 0Aug 13, '11 by AnaLongThanks for the reply!
I want to apply for the FNP program. I already have everything filled out and ready to send, I am just waiting for the earliest I can apply.
I did find this website: http://www.mc.vanderbilt.edu/reporte...x.html?ID=4177
for info on a past class. I guess all I can do is hope. I really hope you do well. And thank you for the encouragement. We all need to stay in touch with each other!!
- 0Sep 1, '11 by mellzie22Hi everyone! I am applying to Vanderbilt for grad level entry in 2012 as well. I am also applying to Simmons, MGH, Northeastern, Emory, Case Western and Johns Hopkins. I am originally from Boston, but I seem to think that I will really like Nashville. I have taken the GREs two times before, but I am not satisfied so I will be taking them again in November.