You may want to consider the following points (not in any order of importance):
1. What is your general patient population? Were you hired to tend to a specific subpopulation? If so, why?
2. Salary, benefits, etc.
3. Paid time off work and vacation is very important. Will you have some time off this summer although you are just starting now?
4. Timing for appointments, med reviews and psych evals?
5. How long do you have to complete and sign documentation?
6. Will you have an assistant or nurse to field calls and help put out fires?
7. What is the electronic record program? Who will train you?
8. How long is the credentialing process?
9. Is there malpractice insurance
? Will you be covered?
10. Can you get them to pay for your DEA number registration?
11. How long is orientation? What does it entail?
12. Can you shadow an existing NP or Psychiatrist that works there already during the on boarding process?
13. Who will be your collaborating physician? Meet with him or her beforehand. How accessible will they be? Can you call or text them with issues on their cell?
14. If there is a scheduled drug that you cannot prescribe in your state, which psychiatrist will sign your prescription for it?
15. Time for continuing education and conferences?
16. If patients need documentation completed by you for social services, social security, etc., what time will be allotted to do that?
17. Can you work OT if you want and if so how will that be compensated (1.5 or comp time)?
18. Is there a patient quota per day, per hour?
19. Are there psychotropic samples available? Which ones and dosages?
20. What security measures and man barriers are in place? Is there a panic button in your proposed office?
Well, I cannot think of anything else. I hope this helps. Good luck. Let us know what you decide.