Wound Care Certification and Education Programs

Updated | Posted
by NRSKarenRN NRSKarenRN, BSN, RN (Guide) Guide Educator Expert Nurse

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion. Has 45 years experience.

Career info @ allnurses Wound, Ostomy, Continence forum

Education programs:  

Wound, Ostomy, and Continence Nurses Society-   RN, BSN required

Wound Care Education institute - MD, DO, DPM, PA, PT, PTA, OT, NP/APN, RN, LPN/LVN  

Certifications:  requires 1-2 years experience

Compare Wound/Ostomy Care Certifications

1. WOCNCB: Wound, Ostomy and Continence Nursing Certification Board

2.  National Alliance of Wound Care (NAWC): Wound Care Certification

  • Eligibility: license as a Registered Nurse, Licensed Practical/Vocational Nurse, Nurse Practitioner, Physical Therapist, Physical Therapist Assistant, Occupational Therapist, Physician or Physician Assistant
  • Certifications: WCC, DWC, LLE

3American Board of Wound Management (ABWM) Certification Eligibility


  • CWCA:  Associate degree nurses, RNs, LPNs, LVNs, PTAs, all certified healthcare assistants, healthcare administrators, dieticians, sales and marketing professionals, and academic researchers.
  • CWS- A licensed healthcare professional with a Bachelor's, Master's, or Doctoral degree in a life sciences field with 3 or more years of clinical wound care experience.
  • Certifications: CWCA, CWS and CWSP

mommy.19, MSN, RN, APRN

Has 7 years experience. 262 Posts

Can we correct the last paragraph stating "CWSA", should say "CWCA"