Nursing job in Japan?

  1. I'd like to nurse abroad in Japan after I graduate, hopefully in an international place like Okinawa or Osaka or Yokohama. I have dual citizenship between Japan and USA, so I'm hoping that will make the process easier. I speak fairly proficient Japanese. Has anyone here ever been a kangofu in Japan?
  2. Visit Mirai Kangofu profile page

    About Mirai Kangofu

    Joined: Sep '05; Posts: 122; Likes: 11
    Student, CNA


  3. by   suzanne4
    Chances are you will have big issues the Japanese government on that one, if you did not do your actual training in Japan. Example, there is a school in Bangkok, that does all of their nursing program in English, it is a four year degree program, the nurses from Japan that attended that school were not permitted to write the nursing exam in Japan as they did not do their training there.

    The ones that returned are working in pharmaceutical sales, etc., but not as nurses there. The only option that you would have is the possibility of a US military base.

    You can check with the equivalent of the Board of Nursing there, but you may be up against a brick wall. If the students that trained in Thailand, and were also Japanese citizens and with Japanese passports were not permitted to sit for the exam, I am not sure that you would be able to. Your US license is not good there, except if you work on a military base.

    Hope that this helps..............
  4. by   Mirai Kangofu
    Thanks Suzanne. I figured that. Would I have to join the army to work in a military hospital then?
  5. by   suzanne4
    No, you can actually get what they call a civilian position.
  6. by   Mirai Kangofu
    Quote from suzanne4
    No, you can actually get what they call a civilian position.
    I hate to sound clueless and demanding, but I'm not even sure which questions to ask. Conditions? Pay? Locations?
  7. by   suzanne4
    There is not much that can be done until after you have graduated and taken your boards. You may also wish to get some experience stateside as well.

    Otherwise, you just contact the bases, and see what they have available.......