What specialty deals with epilepsy pts


My 15 year old is recently diagnosed with epilepsy.

Since as a Mom I naturally want to throw myself into

researchig and finding every little detail about epilepsy,

would it make sense for me to go in that direction after nursing school? And what about nursing research?

What exactly is that and what additional skills would I need to be involved with epilepsy research?

Specializes in FNP, Peds, Epilepsy, Mgt., Occ. Ed.

Epilepsy falls under neurology. There are physicians who specialize in epilepsy who are called epileptologists; usually they are trained as neurologists and do a fellowship in epileptology. There are nurses who work with these doctors in both inpatient and outpatient settings. You would probably expect to find them in larger medical centers.


482 Posts

Specializes in neuro, ICU/CCU, tropical medicine. Has 18 years experience.

I don't know that there is a epilepsy nursing specialty, but I'm a member of the American Association of Neuroscience Nurses and a Certified Neuroscience Registered Nurse. If you're interested in a nursing specialty that deals with epilepsy, look no further!


RNperdiem, RN

4,580 Posts

Has 14 years experience.

My son sees a pediatric neurologist for seizures. There is a nurse practitioner in the medical practice. There are technicians who handle EEG's and various diagnostic tests.

I do not know much about research, but epilepsy shows up in neurology and pediatrics, and generally everywhere else.

This topic is now closed to further replies.