Jump to content

University of Miami Acute Care NP Spring 2020

NP Students   (483 Views 12 Comments)
by NurseYesi NurseYesi, BSN, RN (New Member) New Member

NurseYesi is a BSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care.

95 Visitors; 12 Posts

advertisement

Hello! I have decided to start a forum (since I could not find one) for the UM’s Part-time Acute Care NP program for the Spring of 2020. I am starting my application process and am a little confused with it all. If anyone could give me tips on how to submit it, that would be amazing! Also, if anyone has a date to interview or has interviewed please don’t hesitate to include details! Please and thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NurseYesi is a BSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care.

95 Visitors; 12 Posts

Almost done with the application. If there is anyone that has completed the application or heard anything back from UM please let me know!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheLiberation has 6 years experience as a ASN, BSN, RN and specializes in Cardiac & Medical ICU.

2,616 Visitors; 67 Posts

I sent my application in yesterday. I am waiting for my recommendations and transcripts to come in but I did the tour yesterday with their associate dean and he said to send it in as soon as you can so they could start processing it. 

Once your recommendations and transcripts are received and processed, the faculty board will begin reviewing it and they review them as they come in every 2 weeks except next week when their system is down for maintenance.

My coworker interviewed for their full time Fall 2019 admission and she and the dean both stated that you must prepare for the interview if you receive one. You have to know the ins and outs of what an acute NP role consists of and know your clinical stuff and be able to concisely state it. She was asked about the pathophysiology of sepsis for example.

Good luck ladies and gents!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NurseYesi is a BSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care.

95 Visitors; 12 Posts

22 minutes ago, TheLiberation said:

I sent my application in yesterday. I am waiting for my recommendations and transcripts to come in but I did the tour yesterday with their associate dean and he said to send it in as soon as you can so they could start processing it. 

Once your recommendations and transcripts are received and processed, the faculty board will begin reviewing it and they review them as they come in every 2 weeks except next week when their system is down for maintenance.

My coworker interviewed for their full time Fall 2019 admission and she and the dean both stated that you must prepare for the interview if you receive one. You have to know the ins and outs of what an acute NP role consists of and know your clinical stuff and be able to concisely state it. She was asked about the pathophysiology of sepsis for example.

Good luck ladies and gents!

Hello! How were you able to get a walk-through with the associate dean?

Also, I have yet to submit my application because I have some references pending. I am also working on my Statement of Purpose. 

In regards to the interview. I have heard that one basically guides their interview. Let’s say you work in the ICU and you mention the care of post cardiac arrest patients they will ask you questions based on that. They also ask the role of an NP and the typical “tell me about yourself”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheLiberation has 6 years experience as a ASN, BSN, RN and specializes in Cardiac & Medical ICU.

2,616 Visitors; 67 Posts

17 hours ago, NurseYesi said:

Hello! How were you able to get a walk-through with the associate dean?

Also, I have yet to submit my application because I have some references pending. I am also working on my Statement of Purpose. 

In regards to the interview. I have heard that one basically guides their interview. Let’s say you work in the ICU and you mention the care of post cardiac arrest patients they will ask you questions based on that. They also ask the role of an NP and the typical “tell me about yourself”. 

Hey!

They do tours Mondays and Fridays at 130pm and he happened to do the tour. Just call them. He said that you don't need a reservation but it would be nice to let them know. 

Go ahead and submit your application if you have sent out your requests for references at least. You do not have to wait for you recommendation letters to all come back in order for you to submit your application.

Yea, I've heard the same. It just takes a bit of preparation I guess and it's usually a two panel interview.

Good luck with your personal statement! That was the hardest part for me because I looking for a good mix of unique, personal but not totally informal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NurseYesi is a BSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care.

95 Visitors; 12 Posts

1 minute ago, TheLiberation said:

Hey!

They do tours Mondays and Fridays at 130pm and he happened to do the tour. Just call them. He said that you don't need a reservation but it would be nice to let them know. 

Go ahead and submit your application if you have sent out your requests for references at least. You do not have to wait for you recommendation letters to all come back in order for you to submit your application.

Yea, I've heard the same. It just takes a bit of preparation I guess and it's usually a two panel interview.

Good luck with your personal statement! That was the hardest part for me because I looking for a good mix of unique, personal but not totally informal. 

Thank you for the information!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheLiberation has 6 years experience as a ASN, BSN, RN and specializes in Cardiac & Medical ICU.

2,616 Visitors; 67 Posts

Just now, NurseYesi said:

Thank you for the information!!

No problem! Best of luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheLiberation has 6 years experience as a ASN, BSN, RN and specializes in Cardiac & Medical ICU.

2,616 Visitors; 67 Posts

Has anyone gotten any interviews yet?

All my recommendation letters and transcripts finally arrived in full today. I called the office and they I accidentally applied to the primary care program lol so they switched my application into the acute care. I was a little mortified.

Anyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NurseYesi is a BSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care.

95 Visitors; 12 Posts

I have yet to turn in my application due to technical difficulties. But my goal is to do so today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

222 Visitors; 8 Posts

Do we know when their going to start calling for interviews? 😬

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NurseYesi is a BSN, RN and specializes in Critical Care.

95 Visitors; 12 Posts

I know two other people that I know who have submitted their applications in May and have yet to receive any notification from UM in regards to interviews.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

TheLiberation has 6 years experience as a ASN, BSN, RN and specializes in Cardiac & Medical ICU.

2,616 Visitors; 67 Posts

I called UM and they have not yet started their interview process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing 0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×