Travel packages/pay

  1. Hello all,

    Just curious about a few things. Do most agencies include tax free money for the cost of traveling to and from assignments? I recently interviewed with a hospital in MI, and want to go there because it's where I'm from, but I just want to make sure the offer is sufficient. I realize it's my first assignment (I should get the contract next week, nothing is official yet) and I'm happy to get one, but I don't want to be taken advantage of either.

    My recruiter just said that the base rate was $26.81, tax advantage rate was $30.30 and housing was a free 1 bedroom apt, or I could take the $1050 housing stipend. Nothing else was included. I thought they gave you money for gas, meals, etc. How do you qualify for tax advantage? Do I need to own a home here in CA? This is all confusing to me.

    Any advice from experienced travelers is much appreciated. I don't personally think the rate is terrible considering it's Michigan, but coming from a full-time job in CA, it is big difference, but I have to keep in mind, I wouldn't pay rent, which would be great considering we all know how expensive CA is!

    I appreciate your help!
  2. Visit Worldtravelgirl profile page

    About Worldtravelgirl

    Joined: Nov '11; Posts: 33; Likes: 3


  3. by   NedRN
    Typical travel pay is $250 or $300 each way maximum (may be less for a shorter distance) and is tax free if you have a tax home. Ask your recruiter, they may have overlooked it. I'd be surprised if they don't have one. Per diems are also becoming standard because the IRS is requiring them with a housing stipend. But not every agency does them. Shop around and look at the total compensation, not just one item like travel reimbursement. PanTravelers has a calculator so you can compare different offers with their mix of tax free and taxable income on a level playing field.
  4. by   Worldtravelgirl
    Thank you, Ned!