Tax question?

  1. I'm not with a travel agency but I have traveled to another state to work while maintaining my residence. I'm here temporarily and staying with family when working and home on days off.

    Do I pay taxes to the state I'm working in or to my state of residence or both? I'm working for an agency now but its not a travel agency. What is the best way to go about this when tax time comes? I'd rather pay now than owe later. If the agency I'm with now labled me as a travel nurse would it make a difference? This is the first time I'm doing something like this so I'm really clueless. I want to make this as simple as I can and as cheap as I can. Thanks!
  2. Visit SDALPN profile page

    About SDALPN

    Joined: Apr '07; Posts: 1,041; Likes: 1,420
    Peds Nurse; from CU
    Specialty: Peds(PICU, NICU float), PDN, ICU


  3. by   mrdoc2005
    depending on states but most of the time you have to pay both states. Your resident state is much less than the other. I working a mill job in GA. when I was in school and lived just inside AL. That is where I am getting this from. I had to pay state taxes to both states. However most of the time I got a small refund from GA. Maybe because I was in school???
  4. by   SDALPN
    thanks. The state I'm in doesn't have income tax but NC does. I wonder if that makes a difference??