1. I have recently become single again and the traveler bug has bitten me. But I have several questions and would appreciate any information.

    1. How do you get all the state licenses? It takes several months to get a license.

    2. Do you all fly or do you drive, I only saw a handful of companies the give rental cars.

    3. Do you all keep your local housing, I don't own, and it really makes no sense to keep my apartment, but then I would feel I don't have a home.

    Thanks for any help you can give me.
  2. Visit esrun00 profile page

    About esrun00

    Joined: Jun '05; Posts: 118; Likes: 132
    Specialty: 22 year(s) of experience in cardiac, oncology


  3. by   ERRNTraveler
    Contact the state board of nursing you plan on working in- every state is different, some states take a long time to get a license in, other states are "walk-through" states, meaning you can go to the BON office & apply for & get your license in the same day, or within a few days via mail.

    As far as flying or driving, I drive to my assignments, then I can bring more stuff with me, and I don't have to worry about renting a car while I'm on assignment- it all depends on personal preference.

    For housing, I am not a home owner either, and I chose NOT to keep my apartment in my home state. Now, because of this, I do not have a "tax home" for tax purposes, so anything my company spends on me for housing in considered taxable income, so I do have some extra taxes taken off of each check, but it's still way cheaper than paying my own rent. I use a family member's address as my permanent address for mail, and have them mail everything to me once a week or so, and have all my bills, etc sent to that address. BUT, for tax purposes, I do not have a permanent home.
  4. by   Diary/Dairy
    ESRUN, welcome to travel nursing!!! I too recently started traveling because of becoming single!! It's a really nice change of pace. PM me if you want to talk.