soluset and buretrol the same?

Nurses General Nursing


soluset and buretrol the same thing????

thanks in advance

Dixielee, BSN, RN

1,222 Posts

Specializes in ER.

Yes, both are chambers that hold 100-150 cc fluid. The fluid can be isolated to give meds, or if used on a ped patient or one you are concerned about fluid overload, you can add a specific amount of fluid. It is spiked between the bag of fluid and the administration set. It can be used with or without pump set tubing.


20 Posts

Specializes in Cardiac, Progressive Care.

The generic name for the device is "burette," it's a general term, and burettes come in many sizes and forms. In a chemistry lab you may have used a burette to do precise measurements of a fluid to do a titration. This name is rarely used among nurses, and many do not know the term at all. The ones we use in health care for IV set-ups are generally known by their trade names and I have seen a third name in addition to the ones mentioned above. The names I have seen are: Soluset (made by Abbott), Volutrol (by Travenol) and Buretrol (by Baxter). I found this definition for a burette on "a graduated glass tube, commonly having a stopcock at the bottom, used for accurately measuring or measuring out small quantities of liquid." A medical supply company has this description of one on their website: "The Soluset Solution Set comes complete with a 150mL calibrated burette, injection site on the burette with automatic shutoff valve, and a Y-Site 6" from the needle adapter end. 60 drops per mL drip chamber." Hope this helps and I hope you get this as this is a very old thread. Can you tell I enjoy technical subjects? Cheers! :-)


1 Post

just want to ask if soluset, buretrol and volutrol all the same?

This topic is now closed to further replies.

By using the site, you agree with our Policies. X