RN tells my mom that I don't need to take pre-requisites to become a nurse

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Today my mom met with an Nurse on her job (my mom is a CNA ) she asked, about what I wanted to do and my mom told her I want to become an RN . She told my mom that I don't need to take prerequisites and that I am wasting my time doing them . And I should just head to nursing school. I don't believe this because nursing school judge you on how well you score on prerequisites. I would like to know from Nurses and Nursing students if this nurse is telling my mom the truth or if this is false .

My mom believes this nurse and is going on a rant that I am wasting time doing prerequisites and says I should just hurry up and go to a college.

Specializes in Pedi.
I have yes , but the nurse told my mom I'm doing it wrong and that I should just head to a 4 year nursing school without pre-reqs. I just started taking my pre-reqs.

I agree with the nurse. 4 year BSN programs do not have pre-reqs because the courses that other programs consider "pre-reqs" are built into the curriculum. Personally I don't see the point of spending 2 years taking pre-reqs then another 2 years to end up with an ADN as you could graduate with a BSN in the same time. I took 0 pre-reqs to get into nursing school because I entered directly out of high school.

+ Add a Comment