how soon is too soon?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in med surg.

So I took the first job I was offered at a hospital 45 minutes away from where I live. I have only been there 6 weeks and I am not out of orientation. I really want to give myself 6 months but honestly so far I am not sure if I like it. I am still really unsure of myself and my orientation is almost over. My preceptor honestly makes it worse. she stands over me and just waits for me to make a mistake. she is very intimidating. I am always asking questions because there is just so much that i feel like maybe I forgot from school and she acts like I should already know more than I do. I know my skills aren't that great at times but I have never done anything to compromise a patient's safety and that is what she put I my evaluation, that I need to put patient safety first. She also put that my strength is never hesitating to ask if I am unsure. Isn't that contradicting? Some days I feel so nervous heading in to work. A part of me wants to apply somewhere else, somewhere closer and maybe a different dept. The floor a work on now is a med surg clinical decision unit, a lot of tely patients. and patients are always coming and going and we can have up to five patients at a time. Should I wait it out before I start applying somewhere else?

Yes, give yourself at least 6 months. It is normal to feel unsure. It is also normal to feel intimidated with someone watching over your shoulder. Fortunately, it is also normal to feel more confident and enjoy nursing once you hit that year mark.

If anything else, if you'd have to start at square one with the same insecurities somewhere else.

"My preceptor honestly makes it worse. she stands over me and just waits for me to make a mistake. she is very intimidating. " You are not receiving a proper orientation.

I can say this because I oriented every new nurse.. over many years. Intimidation was not my style.. every orientee I had... succeeded.

You should be receiving weekly updates on your progress, where you are also giving your input on the process. Your manager and nursing education should be included regarding your weekly reports.

No need to leave, just take control of your orientation.

Specializes in med surg.

I worked with a different preceptor for two days and what a difference it made!!

+ Add a Comment