Denied from nursing school...

Nursing Students General Students

Published

I am a registered nurse. A family member of mine recently decided to go back to nursing school at the local county college program. She is in her late 20s, works over 40 hours a week, & worked her butt off to get a 3.95 GPA in all of her prerequisites. She found out yesterday she was not accepted into the program. When she called to question what was going on, one thing held her back. They stated that in 2010, she either failed or withdrew from 2 classes (I forget which). This was the semester after she graduated high school and was dealing with a ton in her personal life.

So, that being said, she had a few A's from 2010 that could not be used and she had to re-take those classes to keep them up to date, however now those classes 8 years ago, as a teenager, will forever hold her back?

I personally feel this is extremely unfair. We are dealing with an adult now trying to advance her career.

Has anyone else had this issue? does anyone have advice????

She should try calling the school she went to and failed and seeing if she can actually have those grades completely removed. I did this at my current school; I messed up when I first started college, had a bunch of real life issues, and didn't even know about withdrawing (no one told me anything, just "too bad"). I came back to this school a couple of years ago, 15 years after the fact, and my GPA was a 0.08. LOL. So bad. The school said I should just fill out a form to have all of those credits wiped. Basically, I lost the classes I did pass, but it put me back to a point where I wasn't trying to fix a horrid GPA.

Would you please explain in more details how to get those credits wiped? What kind of form did you have to fill out?

Specializes in Disaster, Conflict Mgmt.

You've gotten many good answers and plenty of advice, so I don't want to be repetitive. However, the best ting you all can do is understand this is not the end of the world. She, if committed, should apply for the next semester and plan to apply to backups. Rejection once does not mean rejection twice. I dearly hope she continues to work towards her goal.

In my city, you can apply to have the older grade removed if you retook the class later. You fill out a form and write a letter of appeal. It helps if you can get a letter of recommendation from a current instructor or two. I did this myself a long time ago. I may have had to have everything approved by that department's dean, too.

It just a shame one dumb decision, barely an adult, can affect her life like that.

I made dumb decisions as an 18-19 year old that kept me out of two local community college ADN programs in my 40s. I found a different school (a BSN program) that accepted me instead.

+ Add a Comment